Author Topic: Need suggestion for removing soldered groundplane  (Read 2184 times)

Offline HumanoidTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Need suggestion for removing soldered groundplane
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2021, 09:27:14 pm »
What tip are you using in your TS100?
Get the shortest stubbyest and thickest tip you can get.

JBC makes soldering stations upto 450W or so. These also have very small thermal time constants. They heat up in 3 to 5s. This also means that if heat is sucked out of them during soldering, the Iron detects and corrects it very quickly and the iron itself stays pretty much near the setpoint temperature.

A few years ago I was very interested in the TS100, but my weller PU80 is sort of adequate. (That EUR350 soldering iron is one of my biggest mistakes on electronics stuff) Later I decided that I like the T12 clones better then the TS100. Size of the control unit / power supply is not really an issue for me, and there are many more different sized tips for the T12 clones. The distance from tip to handle is also much shorter for the T12.

As others have already noted. First melt the solder and use it to conduct heat into your GND plane before you even attempt to remove any solder. Pre-heating the whole PCB (while working on another) to 150 celcius or so also makes it quicker to solder.

Another Idea that works is to use two irons simultaneously to bring your work piece up to temperature, and when it's hot enough, replace one iron with whatever tool you want to use to remove solder.

I have a C4 tip and two others (one looks like a C4 but smaller, another is I think a pointy B tip, which I don't like at all). I was actually using the smaller one like a moron and thought I had the C4 attached. The TS-100 does heat up pretty fast. Hits max temp in maybe 3-4 seconds.

Also, I recently grabbed a K tip which is even better than the C4. Melts most solder blobs instantly at 340C+. Even the groundplane I had it set to 350C and it heated it enough to melt solder in maybe 2 seconds. Not too shabby.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf