Author Topic: New Fluke 101 meter showing readings when not connected  (Read 1343 times)

Offline makermanTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
New Fluke 101 meter showing readings when not connected
« on: January 28, 2019, 11:58:00 am »
I managed to blow my multimeter the other day so ordered my first fluke (101), powered it on and when not measuring anything it's showing anywhere between 6-20 mA then slowly drops down. The uni-t meter and other cheapies i have don't do this, should i be worried ?

Offline KermitTheFrogg

• Contributor
Re: New Fluke 101 meter showing readings when not connected
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 01:10:09 pm »
Yoooo I don't think it is that bad. Some brand new multimeters aren't calibrated or maybe it is malfunctioning.  Do you still have warranty?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 01:21:03 pm »
Both the Fluke 87V and Fluke 179 here do that, although they start at an even higher count. The Fluke 179 is only a few months old. I'd say it's expected behaviour.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 01:25:21 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline makermanTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 02:19:09 pm »
Thanks for replies, it's measuring fine so i'll stick with it.

Offline ender4171

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 03:49:30 pm »
All of my Flukes do this.  Try shorting the leads together.  If it drops to 0.00 immediately, you have nothing to worry about.  It's just stray inductance from the environment.  I think cheaper meters are either just not sensitive to pick up EMI, or they use some sort of "zero-ing" circuit to discourage the behavior since a regular Joe would probably think it means the meter is broken.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 04:12:08 pm »
All of my Flukes do this.  Try shorting the leads together.  If it drops to 0.00 immediately, you have nothing to worry about.  It's just stray inductance from the environment.  I think cheaper meters are either just not sensitive to pick up EMI, or they use some sort of "zero-ing" circuit to discourage the behavior since a regular Joe would probably think it means the meter is broken.
I think it's the latter. There have been instances of cheap meters "cheating" on their readings described on these forums. Instead of true linearity they seem to fix it in the firmware.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 04:49:05 pm »
I managed to blow my multimeter the other day so ordered my first fluke (101), powered it on and when not measuring anything it's showing anywhere between 6-20 mA then slowly drops down. The uni-t meter and other cheapies i have don't do this, should i be worried ?

That's crazy!!  The meter is for sure bad as the Fluke 101 has no current measurement and can't display mA at all!  Something must really be screwed up.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf