Author Topic: New-to-me power connector  (Read 642 times)

Offline elroyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
New-to-me power connector
« on: July 12, 2019, 12:50:03 am »
I just bought a small RF preamp from an online seller in China. The RF in and out are via standard SMA ports.

For the +12vdc and ground, a connector is provided that consists of a hexagonal nut, a protruding pin ~5mm long that I assume is for the ~12vdc, and a side lug with a solder hole which must be for ground.

Now, I could just solder appropriate-gauge wires to the pin and the lug and call it a day. But is there any smarter way to attach to a connector like this?

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 12:56:50 am by elroy »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: New-to-me power connector
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 01:18:41 am »
It's not really a connector, as  such, but it is being used in that role.  It's an RF "feed through" which is simply a coaxial conductor running through an insulating material inside a metal body.

It is not uncommon to see feed-throughs used in RF equipment as it allows a controlled entry/exit of connections through a shielded enclosure.  Dave has done at least one teardown of an oscilloscope which show this.

While I'm not an RF guy, I can see they offer some useful advantages:
 * Hermetic seal.  No issues with moisture ingress or humidity changes
 * Fixed capacitance, which can help in circuit design

Yes, the simplest method of connection is soldering.  My first thought would be to use a coaxial style cable between this preamp and your power supply - but maybe an RF person could offer a more informed suggestion and whether a connector option is available.

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 01:19:32 am »
The power is soldered to a feedthru capacitor. Here is a similar one. Some are straight pins, some are like mine.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 03:10:16 am »
They make big machined collet socket pins which can fit on a lead like that but usually a wire connection is just soldered to it.

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 03:25:46 am »
The power is soldered to a feedthru capacitor. Here is a similar one. Some are straight pins, some are like mine.

I've seen both 'feedthru capacitors' and just 'feedthru' versions.  Often, a feedthru capacitor will have a value printed or stamped on it.

Ed

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf