Author Topic: New ultrasonic cleaner trips GFCI  (Read 1098 times)

Offline windsmurfTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
New ultrasonic cleaner trips GFCI
« on: April 13, 2019, 11:46:08 am »
So I just got an X-Tronic ultrasonic cleaner on EBay, and I'm not sure if it has an issue or not.
I wanted to use it by the bathroom sink, but when I do, it trips the GFCI whenever the Ultrasonic inducer starts up.
Powering the unit on works fine, and heater works fine. Its only when I start the ultrasonic degas or sweep or standard, it trips GFCI.

If I plug it into another outlet without GFCI, it works fine.

So I used my UT210E to measure current on the white, black, and green wires.  White and black both measure properly the amps being used by the heater and inducer.  The ground wire does show some current but its 1 milliamp when I turn on the cleaner, and up to 3 milliamps when I turn on the inducer.  0 when the unit is off.  I don't know how accurate the UT210E is at such low current...

Is this "normal"?  Should I return the cleaner, or perhaps get it replaced with the same model/different unit?  Or should I just use an outlet outside the bathroom and get a GFCI extention cord to attach it perhaps?  I wonder if that will trip as well or if the bathroom GFCI is just very sensitive...

Appreciate any comments or suggestions! 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf