Author Topic: Newbie starting out with electronics.  (Read 2545 times)

AlexT

Newbie starting out with electronics.
« on: March 18, 2010, 07:57:48 pm »
Good evening everyone! I recently started out building my own "workshop" at home after about 3 or so years of telecommunications studies at my highschool.But, since the educational system in my country is really "down in the dumps" I didn't do so much practical stuff.Just theory and theory...ahh.My mind exploded.
I guess that theory is going to help me later on, but I lack some real basic things you get from working with electronical equipment.I just bought myself a soldering iron, a breadboard, a couple of basic and multicoloured LED's as well as the most expensive part of my toolkit, my Arduino board.
Since I will be heading towards a polytechnics faculty, and will become a major in this field I'm already studying, I would like to "get my hands" dirty and actually start designing boards, circuits and learning some embedded software languages.
What tools/software should I start collecting?I'm guessing C/C++ is the language to go, right?
Thanks alot for your time!

PS: Please excuse my grammar mistakes since english isn't my main language :P

Offline septer012

• Regular Contributor
    • http://www.danielbjohnson.net
Re: Newbie starting out with electronics.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 07:48:50 am »
I highly suggest you write simple C programs, then read the disassembly language until you understand the basics of the language that way you can debug harder programs on a broader range of boards without actually just starting with assembly.  Check out sparkfun.com for guides and (expensive) but handy electronics and hackaday.com for inspiration.
Daniel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf