Author Topic: No-solder no-crimp wire-to-wire connectors for 32 AWG wires?  (Read 3272 times)

Offline tobiaTopic starter

• Contributor
No-solder no-crimp wire-to-wire connectors for 32 AWG wires?
« on: October 17, 2021, 06:53:22 pm »
I have a project where I need to connect parts that come with really tiny 32 AWG wires, and because of the project's nature (LEGO models) I need to rework the connections often.

I'm looking for interconnects, strips, or something of that nature that would allow me to securely connect a few of these tiny wires (usually 5 to 20 together, rarely just one) onto a larger wire coming from the power supply. The wire from the power supply has not been decided yet, I can choose it based on the connectors I can find.

Since I need to rework the connections, I would like to avoid having to solder or crimp the tiny wires.

Does anybody know of any wire-to-wire, either spring- or screw-based mini connector strip, that can be used with 32 AWG wires?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 06:55:19 pm by tobia »

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Re: No-solder no-crimp wire-to-wire connectors for 32 AWG wires?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 07:29:42 pm »
You will probably get other better suggestions but just in case this has any appeal, attached is an image of 30 gauge kynar wrapped on the legs of a LED.  The wire could be wrapped on various pins, typically that have square edges (round pins probably won't provide suitable grip).  The wire can be wrapped with a battery or AC/DC powered wrapping gun (if you want to do a lot of wrapping), or it can be wrapped with a manual tool.  The wire can be of various AWGs but 30 and 32 should be no problem.  The process can make reasonably snug and generally very neat/consistent wrap connections.  It's easy, and lot of fun. :)

Offline tobiaTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 07:34:55 pm »
The wire could be wrapped on various pins, typically that have square edges

Thank you. Yes, I remember reading that in the past entire computers were built by wire-wrapping. I'll keep it in mind, as kind of a last resort.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 07:42:30 pm »
Yep, for what you are doing it might be just a back-up plan.

The wire wrap tool goes in one direction to wrap and the other to unwrap, so maybe it could be useful as an initial step or for prototyping. 

After you get the circuit(s) working then you could implement a more long term solution (other connectors, soldering, etc).

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 08:01:59 am »
pogo pins?

Offline Buk

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 08:52:37 pm »
How much are you prepared to pay for good contact combined with easy modification?

Does $37.50 scare you? If not, see this (You may find it cheaper on amazon, but it may not be the real thing! Beware of fakes. There is nothing else quite like real stuff!)

The technique is to use a short piece of appropriately sized shrink tube  to hold the wires together;
then add a (tiny, literally miniscule) drop of Stabilent 22a to ensure immediate and ongoing good connection.

It works. But the damn stuff is very expensive and unless you've seen the difference it makes first hand, and seen how little is required, that is very off putting.

The best I can do is point at the reviews on the manufacturer's website; in particular this one despite that it is from 30 years ago and the (deeply missed) author is no longer with us.
(My introduction to the stuff. ausgezeichnete Kontaktflüssigkeit)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 09:10:21 pm by Buk »

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 09:34:55 pm »
AWG32 that is tough, I use AWG25 and still often have wire breaks because even the €40 CK stripper often nicks the wire.
If it is a teflon solid wire that is so brittle I wish you much luck.
If it is a stranded wire you could crimp it perhaps in this picolock connectors.
Still what you sctually would like is a micro version of a terminal block, but the smallest I coukd find are for thicker wires.

https://www.molex.com/molex/products/family/picolock?parentKey=micro_connectors

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 01:49:19 am »
The only thing I can think of that fits your criteria are Spring Wire connectors and another similar type that has a screw for each wire . Whether they would work with 32AWG wire , I can't be certain.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 02:32:40 am »
AWG32 that is tough, I use AWG25 and still often have wire breaks because even the €40 CK stripper often nicks the wire.
If it is a teflon solid wire that is so brittle I wish you much luck.

This is a good point - stripping 30 AWG can be challenging.

These will do the job very, very well.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1028311-REG/paladin_tools_pa1123_gripp_20_30_20_awg.html

~$27 for two strippers - one for a smaller range of wires including 30 AWG and one for a larger range.  I have never had these fail to perfectly strip 30 AWG or any other AWG.  I have two sets (4 strippers) and have given a couple sets as gifts.  As best I can tell the quality control is somewhere between outstanding and impeccable.  You can get them at various places including Amazon.  Excellent for Kynar wire and any wire from 30 - 10 AWG.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 09:34:05 pm »
Sadly I don't think there is a good answer for you details.    If this was larger wire I would suggest a terminal strip and putting the wires into a clamp or set screw type terminal strip.   The problem is these types of terminal strips do not hold individual wires of that size well at all.   

You could go with ring terminals and the old fashion terminal strips but even here the crimp on most ring terminals will not work reliably with such small wire.    Often the action of crimping itself, shears the wire.

When working with such small wires that need to be terminated to connectors with a set screw or clamp I find the best course of action is to crimp on a wire ferrule.   If the wire is stranded the ferrule will keep the strands together and the ferrule adds additional bulk that the terminal can actually grab a hold of.    In some ways ferrules are highly overrated but they are golden for use with fine wires, as they allow for far more mechanically reliable connection to the terminal.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2021, 12:55:55 am »
+1 for ferules if you have the right size on hand along with the tool.  A ferule inserted into a screw down terminal block can make a nice connection, and they can also be easily disconnected/reconnected.

(But for 30 AWG there is almost nothing nicer than a wire wrap if you have a pin to wrap onto :))

Offline SmallCog

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2021, 01:48:26 am »
These lever style joiners are good for 0.08-4mm^2 and have handy little probe points on them.

All 3 bridged in this one
https://www.altronics.com.au/p/p2241-3way-32a-400v-ac-splicing-terminal-block/

Used for joining 3 conductors to 3 conductors
https://www.altronics.com.au/p/p2246-3x3-way-joiner-splicing-terminal-block/

I've bought both of these from Altronics and been happy with the quality - buying from eBay isn't really an option here at work but they may well be exactly the same.

You could potentially twist a bunch of wires together into a single hole given the way they grip.

There is also a plethora of these things on eBay and similar marketplaces, in some quite novel configurations. I can't speak to their quality but I think Big Clive has done some teardowns on youtube.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/393381363059?hash=item5b975b3d73:g:TuwAAOSwbI9eJWf0&frcectupt=true

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 01:52:57 am »
I would say that you will not find a connector for 30AWG wire.

Typically what I've done in the past is use the standard wire-wrap wire and a hand wrapping tool.
If you're not using square wire-wrap pins, just wrap the wire and solder it to secure it.
Just like the example given above.  Just solder it afterward.

The best tool for wire-wrapping small projects is just the hand tool with built-in stripper.
https://www.amazon.com/Wire-Wrap-Gauge-ELECTRONIX-EXPRESS/dp/B00BFYE0CY/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=wire+wrap+tool&qid=1635212295&qsid=139-0945083-0944369&sr=8-2&sres=B00BFYE0CY%2CB01IDZU8V4%2CB006C41DXQ%2CB006962Q42%2CB00C9NWR1Q%2CB006C3Z5W2%2CB006962QF6%2CB08H9L3B54%2CB006C43VJU%2CB01CK9GZV6%2CB0918XNP8J%2CB078MVC2GB%2CB00340Z8FK%2CB001ICLVN4%2CB0018GI46M%2CB07WPBJZMT%2CB08L6MPGS2%2CB01M11XM0A%2CB01KQ2JNLI%2CB07754F971

Another thing I've done is run the 30AWG wire through a perf-board and solder it to a pad or header pin.  Run it through a hole on the board first for strain relief.

Solid 30AWG wire is too fragile to hang a connector on.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 01:54:59 am by MarkF »

Online Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2021, 05:30:06 pm »
Maybe you can do it with wishful tinking.

But before you try that, first sharpen your mind with a decent amount of focused meditation.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2021, 06:06:46 pm »
Ok got a possibility here, not the most robust but it will do.
Connect the wire from the powersupply or batteries across the female pcb connector strips that you cut to the desired nr of contacts. Isolate with tape.
Then the male you break off one by one and wirewrap and solder the wire.
You could add one or double heat shrink tubing (preferably with hotglue inside) to mechanically secure it but that AWG32 wire is quite brittle.

You can get those connectors in a lot of colours to fit your Lego.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000158960546.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf