Author Topic: Nomadic Electronics  (Read 1206 times)

Offline LowkusTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Nomadic Electronics
« on: April 04, 2021, 08:45:34 pm »
Are public libraries in your area amenable to someone bringing in an electronics project and test gear to work on it there?

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
Re: Nomadic Electronics
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 08:59:08 pm »
God no!

Offline Kerlin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 03:49:22 am »
I am guessing what you mean is, are public libraries open to the Maker Culture?

I think that would be a very good way for an underused library to provide some worth to the public that funds it.
As an experiment they could modify one of the meeting rooms that most of them have now.
In my area they probably don't need it as they are crowded with overseas students, while locals attend sports / barbecue and booze sessions.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 03:53:24 am by Kerlin »
Do you know what the thread is about and are Comprehending what has been said ?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 05:52:03 am »
I certainly have never heard of someone doing that, and I think it would raise a lot of eyebrows and generally be frowned upon, especially if you made noise or smells, soldering would be a definite no-no. A breadboard or an Arduino or something plugged into a laptop, I doubt anyone would notice or mind. The last time I was in a library (pre-Covid) it was busy with students studying.

Offline Renate

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 11:35:18 am »
Some libraries have study rooms that you can book.
I don't think that dragging in big equipment would go over well but a protoboard or so would probably be no problem.

Is the biggest hurdle getting power?
Summertime, a camping place, a picnic table and power would do.

I'm nomadic too. Here I am fixing a Dell monitor for a friend.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 07:24:47 am »
I was toying with the idea of living on a sailboat and working on electronics projects in the saloon, but it would be nice to occasionally work on the project in an air-conditioned library that's not rocking and rolling.

Offline Renate

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 11:08:47 am »
I was toying with the idea of living on a sailboat and working on electronics projects in the saloon...
I'm in a 20 footer (with 6 tires).
For me, computer screens that stow flat, mostly USB instruments and well organized totes of parts and devices works for me.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 02:43:21 pm »
I don't think there is one answer that fits all here.   As others have noted you are not going to be able solder in most libraries.   I say 'most' because I have heard of libraries opening maker spaces.   I don't know of any locally that have such spaces though.

Otherwise I suspect that it would come down to how much space you take up and if any noise is generated.   There may also be rooms to rent or schedule at your local library.

I was toying with the idea of living on a sailboat and working on electronics projects in the saloon, but it would be nice to occasionally work on the project in an air-conditioned library that's not rocking and rolling.

Offline Capernicus

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 11:48:46 pm »
why the nomadism?
Are u evading the authorities?   :o

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 11:14:35 pm »
Just a bit bored with living in gloomy, overcrowded, overpriced Seattle.  A sailboat probably isn't practical though, some of my ideas require a 3d printer and that could be a real mess on a sailboat.

Offline Capernicus

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 11:38:10 pm »
A nondescript white mini van would be cool to live in, theyd never find you.  Just got to handle the hardware, get the electrics done, whatever you know yourself you dont have to pay for.   8)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 01:44:28 am »
Just a bit bored with living in gloomy, overcrowded, overpriced Seattle.  A sailboat probably isn't practical though, some of my ideas require a 3d printer and that could be a real mess on a sailboat.

My dad lived on a 42 foot sailboat for almost a decade, his brother, wife and their cat lived on a 36 footer for around the same amount of time, it can be done. Takes some lifestyle changes though, space is very much at a premium and no matter how big the boat is you'll wish it was another foot or two. It's also an expensive hobby, however if you live on the thing and can do a lot of the work yourself, it can be pretty economical housing. A big bonus is you can untie and take your house all over, Puget Sound is a fantastic area for sailing, there are all sorts of interesting places to go. A significant downside is your house can sink, and my dad did have a close call last year when a fitting that was part of the diesel engine exhaust plumbing broke and he had taken on several inches of water by the time he looked down into the cabin and realized what was happening. Good proactive maintenance, good seamanship and having a solid understanding of your boat's systems goes a long way toward preventing a disaster though.

You could look into finding a friend near your home port and keep a 3D printer at their place. Maybe you'll find someone who is interested in shared ownership of one, or offer to take them sailing occasionally in exchange for providing a home for your printer.

The following users thanked this post: Capernicus

Online fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 01:52:53 am »
Probably *the* original TechNomad is Steve Roberts.  He's a good friend of mine and lives on his boat here in Friday Harbor.  He has tricked out his boats / bicycles / etc. far beyond what any reasonable person would tolerate:

https://microship.com/
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

The following users thanked this post: Capernicus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf