Author Topic: Novice on Android Smartphone: Is my phone 'roaming' away from nice WIFI ?  (Read 565 times)

Offline RJSVTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hey there: I am waiting for book, 'Android system for Dummies'.
   Put my question here, but also have commerents on 'home devices TOO SMART', in the regular section part.
   Often now, the operating system will run the usual, expected mode, using fast link. But then, often after a short time, like 2 minutes, and system reverts to an 'on-the-air' antenna symbol, always with a pause for catch-up of reading the audio file.
This unwanted mode, will force my renewal to be incapable of going a full month (plus makes the whole phone use unpredictable.
  Like the many months this HAS worked with no glitches. I also have tried moving closer (to WIFI box) with mixed results.
   Seems like a recent update has 'crippled' previously working stuff, (problem free backyard, at 11 meters, from WIFI box.)
   The WIFI mode will linger, often one or two minutes, then revert to the (expected) usual WIFI using my local antenna, rather than a provider community antenna.
   More info later, if I figure out situation (wanting direct WIFI to remain functioning, not getting that interruption, to community antenna).
- Rick

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
Based on your description and prior posts it sounds like your phone is switching between WiFi and Cellular connections. If your phone is connected to the internet via a home WiFi connection turn Cellular Data Off in the phone settings, when away from the home WiFi connection you can turn Cellular Data On if you need to access the internet or receive MMS messages.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
Hey there: I am waiting for book, 'Android system for Dummies'.

If you need a book to use your phone, maybe you should be using an Apple device instead of Android?  ;D

I am not familiar with Android, but on Apple phones there is a setting called "Wi-Fi Assist", which will automatically start using cellular data if the wi-fi connection is poor. I suspect there is something similar on Android. If your phone is having trouble with the wi-fi connection it will likely start using cellular data to assist you maintain the speed of your connection.

If you don't like this behaviour, you could find the setting and turn it off, but be aware that if you go too far away from a your wi-fi base station your internet connection may drop out and stop responding.

The short answer to your question is that if you want good wi-fi performance, then you need to stay close to the wi-fi antenna so that you have a good wi-fi signal.

Also keep in mind that other people can screw up your wi-fi performance if they install their own wi-fi nearby, which can cause interference. This is a common problem in communities where all of your neighbors are also running wi-fi.

Offline RJSVTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Thanks, IanB, good news along the lines you've described:
   Had realized, The TV channel switching had gotten very slow, and PLUS, eventually the set top box gave a text alert message: saying 'must adjust and secure satellite dish position. So the dish aim was simply off a bit, which can start explaining things seen on my end: That is a difficult and error prone WIFI would cause the (cable TV) box WIFI to my smart phone to be abandoned, at some point, playing a video.
   Starting to make sense, I will post info, as we at the house correct the sky dish mounting, for solid WIFI performance. Looking better, when problems can be sussed out!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf