Author Topic: One pot to control 4 points of resistance?  (Read 984 times)

Offline mike-kTopic starter

• Contributor
One pot to control 4 points of resistance?
« on: March 29, 2021, 06:24:20 pm »
Hi,
I have a circuit with 4 identical sections. There is a resistor of the same value in each section. I would like to be able to vary that value simultaneously across all 4 sections, using a single potentiometer. Can anyone suggest an approach?

I was originally going to switch between two fixed resistance values and had a plan to use a demux chip in order to introduce an extra parallel resistor in each of the four sections when a switch was toggled. I'm not sure how to introduce continuous variable resistance however.

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
Re: One pot to control 4 points of resistance?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 06:38:35 pm »
I would like to be able to vary that value simultaneously across all 4 sections, using a single potentiometer. Can anyone suggest an approach?
A 4 gang pot

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 07:57:02 pm »
Unfortunately space is tight so that isn't an option - I'm using a small pcb mounted pot.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 08:20:20 pm »
How close do they have to match?  Could you use 4 LED-CdSe opto isolators (photo resistor output)?  The response time might be a problem, and they have other features including temperature sensitivity.  One source is API, Advanced Photonix, available through Newark.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 08:28:26 pm by TimFox »

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 09:20:12 pm »
Interesting idea - the resistors control the attack time of voices in a synthesizer. Some small variations might actually be interesting, but ideally they would be identical.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 09:31:19 pm »
4 digipots and a microcontroller
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 11:53:46 pm »
quad op amps with unary gain.
PEACE===>T

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 11:57:38 pm »
I have a circuit with 4 identical sections. There is a resistor of the same value in each section. I would like to be able to vary that value simultaneously across all 4 sections, using a single potentiometer. Can anyone suggest an approach?

Interesting idea - the resistors control the attack time of voices in a synthesizer. Some small variations might actually be interesting, but ideally they would be identical.

What sort of signal are these varying resistances being required to carry?

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 08:15:14 am »
How much restriction to space do you have? There are small 4 gang PCB potentiometers available . PTD904

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 02:54:24 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to do some research into the different options. @Jwillis I probably could fit in these Bourns pots, so that might be the most straightforward option.

@drussell I don't have a schematic for the circuit so I can't provide much detail. It's a 12VDC powered circuit, requiring min 0.4A. There's more info. here: https://somasynths.com/lyra-8-diy/ See 'Tweaks.jpg' in the documentation - this gives a board layout and guide for making mods. I want to modify attack of voices 1 - 4 with one pot and 5 - 8 with another.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 03:36:27 pm »
Use four voltage/current controlled amplifiers, each with the same control voltage/current defined by your your pot.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf