Author Topic: Op-Amp Input Offset  (Read 1289 times)

Offline chrisabirdTopic starter

• Christopher Bird
Op-Amp Input Offset
« on: January 08, 2017, 12:50:22 am »
If someone could point me in the right direction to read more on this I'd be very grateful.

I have a LM324 configured as a simple voltage follower, single rail, output connecting back to inverting, and an input to the non-inverting. The output it is fed into an analog input of a ATMega328.

What i am noticing is that there is a -200mv discrepancy between the input and the output, i was expecting it follow withing the tolerance of the input offset (2mv).

Have i totally misunderstood this, and am i looking in the wrong place for this problem?

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: Op-Amp Input Offset
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 01:00:10 am »
200mV seems excessive.  Are you sure your +in is within the acceptable common mode range, which does *NOT* extend to the OPAMP's positive supply?

The following users thanked this post: chrisabird

Offline chrisabirdTopic starter

• Christopher Bird
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 01:10:53 am »

Thanks Ian.M. 

Yep, that was the problem, my input signal is just outside the common mode range. I forgot to check that  when switching parts :-[

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 12:08:11 pm »
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Offline Brutte

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 12:31:16 pm »
Why buffer? Does the source of the signal has high output impedance and ADC requires a low impedance source?
Well, LM324 does not have a bias current compensation, just use similar impedances on both inverting and non-inverting nodes.
BTW, this ADC is impossibly slow (15ksps?), unless your source has an impedance of megaohm range, just use a capacitor instead of a buffer. Guaranteed 0.0V offset.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf