Electronics > Beginners

open circuit reading of multimeter in mV range

(1/2) > >>

d3javu:
Hi folks,
          I have just bought a Uni-T UT61C multimeter and while playing with it, i notice that the voltage reading in mV range is increasing constantly and sometime when i turn on the multimeter and straight away set it to mV range, it shows overload. Previously, i have been using cheap multimeter which never had such a behaviour in 200mV range.

scrat:
Couldn't it be that it catches some noise? They have a very high input impedance, and signal is rectified for DC measurement, so I suppose noise rectified charges input capacitance and makes voltage grow up.
Have you tried to go, for example, outdoors? Does the problem increase if you touch a terminal?

d3javu:

here is an example, another thing is while on auto range, after 60mV, the value jumped to 200+, obviously the range changed automatically but the value jumps from 60mV to 200mV is kinda weird to me. the probe is not in contact with anything. there is only a fan running next to me, i did move out and try, it is the same. it is normal??

Kiriakos-GR:
As long ,when you sorting the leads , the reading becomes 0000  your multimeter is healthy.

d3javu:
Nah, i'm just curious about the reason behind this behaviour. The voltage actually decreases after it reaches about 200-250mV at very very slow rate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version