Electronics > Beginners

Oscilloscope Noise

(1/4) > >>

Longhair:
I have my oscilloscope plugged into the same outlet line (circuit breaker <--> wall outlets) as my computer, monitor, power supply, etc. and I happen to be getting what I feel like is a lot of noise. Doing the self calibration did not improve (or make worse) anything so now I am wondering what I would be able to do to clean up the noise from the AC outlet. Rewiring the house is not an option.

I took a picture with nothing plugged in to the osilloscope. This is the Rigol DS1052E 50MHz (not hacked) that is very common on here.

Simon:
is this 200mV/Div the setting you took the measurement on ? if not (you have zoomed in) it is normal, if it is yes that is a bit much, I was a little disappointed with the noise on my scope but this is inherent in digital scopes.

Longhair:
I just did another one (200mV / 200ns) and it doesn't look like that so I must have zoomed in.

I guess that it is good to hear that it is normal - at least it isn't broken.

Thanks for letting me know.

Simon:
looks  just like mine with or without the hack, I suspect that SMPS is part of the problem, when I get around to screening the motherboard I'll let the forum know of the effect if any

cybergibbons:
Is the Rigol normally that bad? 0.8V PtP noise?

You should really ground the probe when look for noise however.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version