Author Topic: Oscilloscope probe from a different manufacturer - what specs to look for?  (Read 771 times)

Offline robomanTopic starter

Hello, this question has been asked before but in a different way. I plan to replace my SIGLENT 200MHZ passive probes with a better quality one, but I need to know what the specs mean and how I choose one that will work without hooking it in.

My scope is rated at 1Mohms and 18pf. I am a complete noob in this and not from an electronics major background, so I am a bit hesitant to buy something and later realize it does not work. This is what I have so far.

From Rohde & Schwarz
"
Passive probes have no active components and therefore can operate without power from the scope. They are extremely common, and a set of passive probes is usually included with every oscilloscope. In fact, passive probes are often interchangeable between scopes, even with scopes from different manufacturers, although they will have different performance and other characteristics.
"

From a post on Reddit
"
That scope will work fine with most normal probes. Just make sure the scope's input capacitance is within the compensation range for the probes.
"

If I understand correctly, as long as I get the probe within the compensation range and frequency, the input resistance will not matter. If that is true, then can I interchange the following two?
https://siglentna.com/product/pp215-200-mhz-oscilloscope-probe/

I work primarily with low-voltage DC circuits.

Thanks a lot.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 02:20:09 pm by roboman »

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
Re: Oscilloscope probe from a different manufacturer - what specs to look for?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 04:34:55 pm »
quality probes Tektronix

Others are poor design, delicate of Chinese junk\

j
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 05:57:31 pm by roboman »

Offline inse

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 06:01:39 pm »
Redundant

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 06:22:00 pm »
You have to look in the datasheet for a spec called compensation range or scope compensation range.  Of the probes you listed, the Keysight will work (5-30pF) but the Tektronix TPP0200 will be marginal (max 18pF) and the TPP0201 would be more appropriate (15-25pF).  Neither of these will give you a significant performance advantage over the Siglent PP215 that you already have.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 07:21:02 pm »
We do not know what you do not like about the Sigilent probes.  I think all probes are made in China even the Agilent probably the Tek?   I bought some 200 MHz knock off probes from China that are just fine and a lot less expensive.  The hook hat on my knock offs fits better than the hats on my Agilent probes.

Like  bdunham7 has explained.  Just make sure that the probes compensation includes the capacitance of your scope. Preferably your scope capacitance is in the middle of probes compensation range. 

I suppose all probes have same pin for determining that  they are 10X so the scope knows, 
I think mini probes are more useful. 
Higher MHz probes will work if their Capacitance is within range.

Do not get 1X - 10X probes.    Just 10X.

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2024, 02:41:43 am »
I will stick to SIGLENT probes if I can, but unfortunately. They are not performing correctly after a few usages. I think there is a loose connection, which is preventing me from a good readout.
The scope itself is more than two years old (I bought a new one from Amazon) and was barely used before last month (now that I have started spending some time in my home lab).

At this point, I have no confidence in the quality of the new probe I will get when I order a new one from SIGLENT. I would rather pay a bit more and get something which will be reliable and I can use with confidence.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2024, 02:48:41 am »
At this point, I have no confidence in the quality of the new probe I will get when I order a new one from SIGLENT. I would rather pay a bit more and get something which will be reliable and I can use with confidence.

Do you have the PP510 or PP215?  I've had no issues with my 8 PP215s.  My PP510 fell apart.  If you do need to replace them, I probably wouldn't spend $39 on the PP215 either, although they've been good for me.

If you want a very good quality probe with normal performance, look at Probemaster.

https://probemaster.com/4900-series-oscilloscope-probes/
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: roboman

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2024, 09:27:47 am »
From Rohde & Schwarz
"
Passive probes have no active components and therefore can operate without power from the scope. They are extremely common, and a set of passive probes is usually included with every oscilloscope. In fact, passive probes are often interchangeable between scopes, even with scopes from different manufacturers, although they will have different performance and other characteristics.
"

The person who wrote that clearly knew what he was talking about :)

But in all seriousness, the other replies in this thread are pretty much spot on about basic passive probes.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 09:35:31 am by pdenisowski »
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2024, 09:46:50 am »
I will stick to SIGLENT probes if I can, but unfortunately. They are not performing correctly after a few usages. I think there is a loose connection, which is preventing me from a good readout.
The scope itself is more than two years old (I bought a new one from Amazon) and was barely used before last month (now that I have started spending some time in my home lab).

A quality probe has both good specifications but also good quality, i.e. won't fall apart after a few dozen uses.  You can look at a datasheet to read the (alleged) specifications, but reliability / robustness isn't something you can read off the specs.

My general recommendation for a hobbyist is to have some "nice" probes when you need to make "important" measurements but to also have some "cheap" probes for general use or when performance isn't critical (is there a signal here? what does it look like?).  For "professional" use, don't ever use cheap probes :)

Nowadays you can buy cheap probes on Amazon for < $10 each.
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2024, 09:50:12 am »
I suppose all probes have same pin for determining that  they are 10X so the scope knows, 

Yes, most do these days, although some scopes (even current manufacture scopes) aren't able to automatically sense this.

Do not get 1X - 10X probes.    Just 10X.

I agree that switchable probes can be somewhat problematic, but there are times with 1X probes are useful.  Dave did a really nice video on this

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2024, 03:00:19 am »
Thanks guys, I think I have pretty much what I needed to make a decision.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2024, 05:03:34 pm »
We do not know what you do not like about the Sigilent probes.  I think all probes are made in China even the Agilent probably the Tek?   I bought some 200 MHz knock off probes from China that are just fine and a lot less expensive.
No, there are still plenty of probes made in the west, especially higher bandwidth models.

Many of the probes included with Keysight, LeCroy, and Rohde & Schwarz scopes are made by PMK in Germany.

Hameg oscilloscopes came with German-made probes from Testec, which I highly recommend. Testec probes are nice to use and are very affordable. (Rohde & Schwarz bought Hameg years ago to break into the general test equipment market.)

In my experience the cheap Chinese probes feel cheaper and have stiffer cable, which is super annoying.

The following users thanked this post: Muxr, pdenisowski, roboman

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf