Author Topic: AoE 2 edition emitter follower biasing question  (Read 1312 times)

Offline todorpTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
AoE 2 edition emitter follower biasing question
« on: December 31, 2019, 12:40:55 pm »
Hi all, I was reading AoE 2e chapter on BJT transistors. When discussing the emitter follower configuration the authors state the following (p.71 - Follower with split supplies):
"Because signals often are near ground it is convenient to use symetrical positive and negative supplies. This simplifies biasing and eliminates coupling capacitors.
Warning: You must always provide a dc path for base bias current, even if it goes only to ground."

Could somene please clarify the warning for me: why is this necessary?

Thanks,
    Todor

Offline Paul Rose

• Regular Contributor
Re: AoE 2 edition emitter follower biasing question
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 03:16:52 am »
In the attached schematic, C1 is a DC blocker, and R3 to ground establishes the DC voltage (zero in this case) that the AC voltage is centered around.  This allows you to figure out the emitter voltage.

If you don't have R3, what is the "center" voltage of your input waveform?

Offline Paul Rose

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 05:14:11 am »
It might help to think of what would happen if you turned the amplitude of your AC source down to zero.   It would be like removing the AC source and blocking capacitor.  Then (unless you have R3) the base would be connected to nothing.  No base current, so no emitter current.  The output voltage would be the negative rail (due to the emitter resistor). 

You want to establish a stable DC system.   Base current can flow from ground (0v) through R3, through the B-E junction to the negative rail (-15v).

BTW: The R3 value I picked was too big given the emitter resistor.   Use the design rules from the book to pick a better value.

Offline todorpTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 10:56:51 am »
Ok, I get it. Thanks a lot for the clear explanation.
    Tod

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf