Author Topic: P-Ch E MOSFET replacement  (Read 577 times)

Offline trondlTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
P-Ch E MOSFET replacement
« on: September 07, 2023, 10:14:19 am »
Hi!
I'm a noob when it comes to finding transistor equivalents / replacements.
We have a light fixture where the Gobo (effects) card has two shorted transistors:
One NPN ZXTN2010 where I found the exact same and a MOSFET ZXMP6A16.
I only found a ZXMP6A18 available.
The CAN bus communicating circuit is used to control some "smaller" step motors and reading optical sensors with an on board MCU.

Is the ZXMP6A18 just a newer beefier version of ZXMP6A16 and is in this case a drop in replacement?
Datasheets included.

Thanks in advance!

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
Re: P-Ch E MOSFET replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 11:05:45 am »
It's slighly slower and has higher capacitance, but will probably work just fine.
Do you know what these fets do in the circuit?
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 01:01:17 pm »
There is only one of them on this PCB, and the PCB is referred to as "Motor driver low power".
It is controlling 8 step motors through DRV8844 drivers, 8 sensors, CAN bus and 2 blower fans of smaller size.
The board is fed 24V DC, and it has very low resistance from the +24V to the Sink pin.

Should the capacitance cause concern?

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 01:07:15 pm »
Only if switching at very high speeds, which doesn't seem the case.
I'd try them right away.
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

The following users thanked this post: trondl

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 01:10:09 pm »
I noticed you said CAN Bus control. Do the mega expensive pro lights use CAN as opposed to DMX control? I've been involved with some pro gear but it was all DMX. I did locomotive control circuits for years and I hated CANBUS. It never worked well on locomotives. CAN features some data rates of a few MHz but we had trouble with capacitance and cable lengths even at 500KHz. It was unstable in 65 foot cable runs. Ethernet just worked better. Fiber optic at the time suffered degradation from the sulfur in the diesel fuel and wasn't allowed on locomotives.
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2023, 01:33:01 pm »
I noticed you said CAN Bus control. Do the mega expensive pro lights use CAN as opposed to DMX control? I've been involved with some pro gear but it was all DMX. I did locomotive control circuits for years and I hated CANBUS. It never worked well on locomotives. CAN features some data rates of a few MHz but we had trouble with capacitance and cable lengths even at 500KHz. It was unstable in 65 foot cable runs. Ethernet just worked better. Fiber optic at the time suffered degradation from the sulfur in the diesel fuel and wasn't allowed on locomotives.

Internal communication between the modules is CAN, DMX is from main MCU to external although Ethernet is in this case also an option.
DMX is the default protocol when it comes to lights and such.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2023, 10:56:21 am »
Only if switching at very high speeds, which doesn't seem the case.
I'd try them right away.

It worked perfectly!
Thanks a bunch for the guidance.

Only the long run tests in real situations remain.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf