Author Topic: Parts question - price seems too good to be true  (Read 5141 times)

Offline btiptonTopic starter

Parts question - price seems too good to be true
« on: January 11, 2011, 05:58:54 pm »
I've got a few hobbyist-type projects that would be nice to have LCD displays on, but I've always been turned off by how much cost it would add.  I looked on eBay today, however, and saw this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HD44780-1602-16x2-LCM-Character-LCD-Display-Module-New-/200562289086?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb271a9be

$1 per display seems *really* cheap, even compared to other eBay stores - is there something I'm missing?  At this price, I'd probably order 30 or so just to make sure I'd always have an LCD handy. 

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: Parts question - price seems too good to be true
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 06:11:53 pm »
shipping: not available to malaysia! check out the shipping cost. beware, some sellers will put some of the "item's price" in the shipping cost.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline JohnS_AZ

• Frequent Contributor
    • About.me
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 06:13:55 pm »
I would guess that bet that most people, like you, would buy 10 since the price is so cheap. However, the shipping charge is PER DISPLAY, so ten displays would cost about $25 to ship to the US.
I'm either at my bench, here, or on PokerStars.

Offline Longhair

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 06:30:12 pm »
I always ask for a combined shipping total before bidding / buying anything from ebay.

If they refuse to do it, then I look else where.

alm

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 06:37:36 pm »
I think shafri's analysis is correct, the real pricing would probably be $2.50-$3 for the displays and $1-$0.50 shipping. But they have to pay eBay fees over the item price but not (or less) over shipping costs, so it's profitable to shift as much as possible to shipping. It also lists higher when sorted by price, and people may not notice the shipping price.

They explicitly state that they can't combine shipping with a bullshit excuse (max volume/weight? really? for a few displays?). Any costs they have: transport, packaging, handling, shipping will be less for combined shipping, so they probably make more on one order with ten displays compared to ten orders of one display. I would just treat them as $3.50 displays with 'free' shipping, and see if that's a good price for you. The dishonest behavior would also make a bad impression on me, if they're willing to cheat eBay to save a few cents, how are they going to treat their customers?

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 06:48:01 pm »
to be honest I "shift" a little (but not a lot generally the ebay and paypal fess) on items i sell to shipping to stop the price spiraling out of control, ebay are becoming more and more expensive to the point that it might be cheaper for me to go self employed (while keeping the daytime job) and run my own website and pay tax on the little I'd earn profit.

I hate ebay with a passion but it is the only one that has the volume of buyers and seller so have to "live with it"

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 06:50:27 pm »
they don't ship to the UK either apparantly, sounds like they don't know what they are doing, "all sellers ship to the UK"

Offline btiptonTopic starter

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 07:23:09 pm »
I completely missed that the shipping was per unit, regardless of how many you ordered.  Thanks for pointing that out!

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 06:05:39 am »
I've got a few hobbyist-type projects that would be nice to have LCD displays on, but I've always been turned off by how much cost it would add.  I looked on eBay today, however, and saw this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HD44780-1602-16x2-LCM-Character-LCD-Display-Module-New-/200562289086?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb271a9be

$1 per display seems *really* cheap, even compared to other eBay stores - is there something I'm missing?  At this price, I'd probably order 30 or so just to make sure I'd always have an LCD handy.  

*Some* sellers transfer the item cost into the postage charge to cover themselves in case of a Paypal dispute - the seller doesn't have to refund postage in the case of a refund. Usually the more dodgy ones.

If you need some LCD modules I have had only good experiences with Sure Electronics (http://www.sureelectronics.net/), and you can still use Paypal.

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 06:49:18 am »
I've always been happy with the things I've ordered from Sure Electronics on ebay.  I bought a number of 2x16 LCDs in various color combinations just to judge which I like best and a number of other products.  Many of their auctions have free shipping, so there's no surprises....

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 07:03:25 am »
I have had dealings with Sure Electronics on there eBay store and website. I cant say anything bad about them. Never had a bad item and there packaging is very good.

Regards
Testing one two three...

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 12:16:01 pm »
they don't ship to the UK either apparantly, sounds like they don't know what they are doing, "all sellers ship to the UK"
Probably one of those dickheads that once had a problem with someone in a particular country and assumes everyone is the same.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 05:01:21 pm »
I think Dave has one or two to shift (in fact desperate to get rid of if the amphour #27 is to be believed  ;)) Drop him an email and he may do a deal.
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf