Author Topic: Parts sourcing help  (Read 8602 times)

Offline congiaTopic starter

• Contributor
Parts sourcing help
« on: June 29, 2013, 09:01:17 am »
I'm not sure where to post this. It's related to a project I'm working on but it's more of the sourcing and finding substitute components. I'm looking for a receptacle with 2 rows and 40 pins. It's manufactured by JAE with part number AA01B-S040VA1-R3000. According to JAE-Connectors.com, it's not obsolete. You can have a look at the photos and measurements of the receptacle and the plug on http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/64112/how-to-find-socket-for-keyboard-connector. I've been using the Molex Slimstack 54363-0489 as a substitute but this involves breaking the plastic spacing from the connector (spaces to the ends of the receptacle does not allow enough clearance) and it doesn't connects well with keyboard's plug at all. Only 1 out of 4 tested keyboards work with this receptacle.

I've been looking for where to get the JAE part from. Contacting JAE's distributor in Singapore didn't help. They stopped replying after learning that this is a hobby project. I've tried other sourcing websites like hkinventory, octoparts... Their sellers require a minimum order of 50, 100 or even 1000 pieces. This adds with money transfer, courier cost and taxes amounts from $200 to $1500, in which I think is not worth it.

Digikey, RS, Element14, Mouser do not sell this part. I'm not sure if it's possible to ask them to sell the parts though. I've sent an e-mail requesting the part to RS but they haven't replied yet.

So my questions are:
- How do you source your parts?
- Where do you source it from if major websites like Digikey does not have it?
- Given specific measurements of the plug, how would you find a substitute for the receptacle?

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
Re: Parts sourcing help
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 10:23:31 am »
Try www.samtec.com  They have a full on-line catalogue. Fantastic company to deal with, don't have to place huge orders AND
they even make short run custom parts !! ... Usually has to be within their product line but you can always ask. I love them btw :-)
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 10:35:09 am »
Searching on Samtec yields no results. I sent them an e-mail. Do you have any other suggestions?

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 11:42:06 am »
Quote from: congia
    Searching on Samtec yields no results ....  Do you have any other suggestions?   
It's been a long time since I've designed / manufactured embedded PCs, so all my contacts (including JAE) are long gone I feel.
When I get a minute, I'll dig through my business card archive, maybe someone will click. Keep googling and Good Luck
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 11:49:49 am »
When I get a minute, I'll dig through my business card archive, maybe someone will click.

Thank you. That would be fantastic. I'm going to sift through more shady Chinese websites and see where it gets me.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 12:40:19 pm »

Offline Christopher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 12:43:29 pm »
http://gb.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=DhjuHb/Cp77ZqrzUUZ5QDQ==

is the substitute? Look at both datasheets & compare.. Bit expensive for a connector if you ask me but thats molex for you.

Offline lgbeno

• Frequent Contributor
Parts sourcing help
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 01:25:44 pm »
Find a local sales rep for JAE and ask for help.  Maybe he would get you samples too

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 02:03:23 am »
Could it be the AA01A-S040VA1? [...] There's no mention at all of an AA01B on the JAE site.

JAE's connector search page says the AA01B-S040VA1-R3000 is active. AA01A has a different landing pattern so the plug might not fit.

http://gb.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=DhjuHb/Cp77ZqrzUUZ5QDQ==

is the substitute? Look at both datasheets & compare.. Bit expensive for a connector if you ask me but thats molex for you.

Mouser says it can't find any results. If you're referring to the 54363-0489, then I am already using that and it doesn't work well at all:
I've been using the Molex Slimstack 54363-0489 as a substitute but this involves breaking the plastic spacing from the connector (spaces to the ends of the receptacle does not allow enough clearance) and it doesn't connects well with keyboard's plug at all. Only 1 out of 4 tested keyboards work with this receptacle.

Find a local sales rep for JAE and ask for help.  Maybe he would get you samples too
JAE doesn't seem to have a representative in Australia, according to their website. I'm going to try to find a reseller store.

Offline cthree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 02:13:29 am »
It may be a custom part they make for Lenovo?

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 03:32:29 am »
It may be a custom part they make for Lenovo?

I hope not. Kindle Fire LCD uses a AA01B-S030VA1, same series only with 30 pins instead of 40.

Telequipment

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 06:16:00 am »
 I think when you find your parts stockpile, which is what I'm doing now at 59 I have 6 years to suffer before retirement, so I'm stockpiling, lots of components ,boards  solder, and anything else I can think off  :-+

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 02:16:21 am »
JAE Singapore distributor replied to me today, saying this receptacle is manufactured for specific customers. So, that's a shame. Seems you're right Cthree. Now it's time to find a substitute or just get 50 of these for $4 a piece.

Offline cthree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 03:10:53 am »
Unless your time is worthless, spend the $200 and buy the correct part.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 03:15:07 am »
Alright. Thanks for the help guys.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf