Electronics > Beginners

PC performance correlated with relative humidity?

<< < (24/24)

dervu:
I am not sure if it will be the same for original poster. As many know, EMI (if it even is EMI or not some other issue related to electricity) issues might not always be the same.
In my case after years of looking I found the source.
There was loose electrical connection for kitchen hood in my apartment.
Immediate difference after removing. Then replaced with new one and still no issues.
It was the last place where I would look, but I had to replace it to comply with new rules regarding ventilation.  :palm:

Either it was:
- Just loose electrical connection
- Loose connection combined with little shakes from elevator that is just behind the wall this kitchen hood is placed at
Maybe this connection was loose where the fan was replaced many years ago or it happened gradually from shakes.

When I will have more free time, I will try to reproduce it with connecting this kitchen hood closer to the PC and measure what I can with RFI spectrum analyzer.
For now I can record another 1000fps videos with exactly the same positioning and same emulated inputs to see if there are any differences to my older recordings.

radiolistener:
Some air conditioners from neighbors can leads to a very high SMPS EMI noise in a range from 50 kHz up to 20-30 MHz. Probably due to bad quality Chinese power supply

Nominal Animal:

--- Quote from: dervu on Yesterday at 04:01:32 pm ---In my case after years of looking I found the source.
There was loose electrical connection for kitchen hood in my apartment.
Immediate difference after removing. Then replaced with new one and still no issues.
--- End quote ---
I admit, this is the first time I've heard that EMI and/or mains power issues has affected computer performance.
I have only seen and heard of crashes and instability thus far (in roughly 35 years of computing), due to power supply issues, mains power issues, and extreme EMI (most often due to large brushed motors and internal combustion engines with harsh unshielded spark plugs).
(In my observation, sparking seems to be the worst offender in all cases.)

It has to be current graphics cards with their rather large current consumption, being somehow performance-sensitive but not crash-prone to these kinds of issues.  Live and learn!

Thanks for the report, too.  It's good to hear you got it solved, even if by accident.  :-+

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version