Author Topic: Please double check my capacitor ID  (Read 508 times)

Offline jasenrogersTopic starter

Please double check my capacitor ID
« on: December 16, 2019, 01:24:05 am »
I hate asking noob questions, but I am definitely a noob! ;-) I have these two capacitors that I want to replace. Am I correct that these are leaded tantalums? They are on an old VGA card I am trying to fix. You can see in the pics that the card is displaying banding and noise on the screen. I have changed cards and systems three times. It only occurs with this card. I have a DE-5000 ESR meter and only one of the 475s seems to read what I am thinking. Gonna pull them to check out of circuit. I don't really understand this meter though. No instructions came with it so I am just kinda playing with it. Anyway I want to have new caps on hand when I pull anyway. So all but one are labeled 475 16K. The other is labeled -a 1u0 35. Am I correct that the first one is 4.7 microfarad at 16 volts and the second one is 1 microfarad at 35 volts? Am I ok just replacing these with more leaded tants at these specs? Thanks!

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Please double check my capacitor ID
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 06:26:53 pm »
Tantalum capacitors are the work of the devil and frequently visit equipment with fire and explosions.

Better to use modern high quality electros.

Your interpretation of the markings is correct, I'd just add that the "K" marking indicates a 10% tolerance.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf