Author Topic: Please share you're experience with BK Precision 4010A  (Read 4108 times)

Offline robsimsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Please share you're experience with BK Precision 4010A
« on: June 11, 2019, 10:15:36 pm »
Hi,

I need a function generator for experimenting, automotive and audio. I have zero experience with a function generator. I'm interested in a BK Precision 4010A. I want to know if it is suitable for what i want it for and i want to know if it is easy to use. I already have a scope.  If you have one, please share you're experience with it.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
Re: Please share you're experience with BK Precision 4010A
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 10:25:45 am »
How much do you expect to pay for it? The point is that if you can get it cheap then it it may be worth it, but if you are going to pay full retail price then there are probably better options.

The following users thanked this post: robsims

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 06:23:24 pm »
The BK precision 4010 cost $231 at Tequipment and with shipping it will be $290.  I don't want the crappy Chinese generators like jds6600 and feeltech FY2300. They have problems. I want to start with something good, but not too expensive. Up to $250 is good, because the cost of shipping i also have to take into account. If you have other options, please let me know.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 08:44:51 pm »
The BK precision 4010 cost $231 at Tequipment and with shipping it will be $290.  I don't want the crappy Chinese generators like jds6600 and feeltech FY2300. They have problems. I want to start with something good, but not too expensive. Up to $250 is good, because the cost of shipping i also have to take into account. If you have other options, please let me know.

I've refrained from commenting because I don't have the device in question, but apparently neither does anyone else.  That is because like many BK Precision products, this model is a brand new antique.  School labs and perhaps other institutional users may buy them because they fill some need, but they are not a reasonable value for most users, whether they are hobbyists, students, techs or engineers.  I actually have a fair amount of BK Precision equipment and some of it is pretty good--but I paid nickels on the dollar, if that.  What you are proposing to buy is barely better than this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XR2206-Function-Signal-Generator-DIY-Kit-Sine-Triangle-Square-Output-1Hz-1MHz/323531799127?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D02d3f7c8634c4aa7b77cafe5c69fc6b1%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D233205774814%26itm%3D323531799127&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 09:38:15 pm »
First, i have zero experience with function generators. To me "a lot" doesn't matter. I can have less, but it must be good. I am a mechanical engineer and i need a generator to experiment wit electronics. I wan't clean and exact information presented to me on a scope. It is also not a problem if the generator is antique. If it's good for basic stuff,  it's all right. The fact that it has through hole components makes it very easy to repair. As i progress, i will know what the BK4010A lacks, and if i need more, i will buy a Rigol or some other fancy generator. A teacher on youtube told me they have this generator for 3 years now in their school lab. They are working fine although students are beating the hell out of them everyday. So they are sturdy What i want to know from others at this point, is if this generator is sufficient to do automotive and audio electronics and to learn basic stuff. If not, please help me with some other budget options.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 09:45:04 pm by robsims »

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 10:52:29 pm »
I have a BK 4040 I got on ebay for less than the price of that 4010 new. It's worked well for many years. Personally, I'd look for something used, but if you don't mind the price, the BK 4010 should be fine as a basic function generator.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 11:00:54 pm »
First, i have zero experience with function generators. To me "a lot" doesn't matter. I can have less, but it must be good. I am a mechanical engineer and i need a generator to experiment wit electronics. I wan't clean and exact information presented to me on a scope. It is also not a problem if the generator is antique. If it's good for basic stuff,  it's all right. The fact that it has through hole components makes it very easy to repair. As i progress, i will know what the BK4010A lacks, and if i need more, i will buy a Rigol or some other fancy generator. A teacher on youtube told me they have this generator for 3 years now in their school lab. They are working fine although students are beating the hell out of them everyday. So they are sturdy What i want to know from others at this point, is if this generator is sufficient to do automotive and audio electronics and to learn basic stuff. If not, please help me with some other budget options.
I started with a 2 MHz Philips but it wasn't long before I needed/wanted something better and I got a SDG1010 that served me well until I upgraded again. Still if I'd kept the 2ch 10 MHz SDG1010 it would still do most of what I need today.
Currently using a SDG1032X that offers more/better features.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 11:24:17 pm »
Thank you guys. Yes i also think the BK4010 is a good starting point as a first function generator. I could not find anything new and better for the price. When i need more or something better i will buy another one in future.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 11:41:44 pm by robsims »

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 01:37:10 am »
For that much money I'd get an Analog Discovery 2. Two independent arbitrary waveform generators, 12 Mhz analog bandwidth plus the analog and digital data acquisition capabilities, computer controllable and it fits in your shirt pocket. Something to consider...

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 02:28:29 am »
I’ve had a BK4040A for about 15 years.  It’s been a good FG for sure but if today I was thinking about buying a new or used BK40xx series I’d look to see if a current model Siglent FG could be found that meets your specs and budget.  As a starter FG BK will be ok, and eventually you might find it handy to have 2 FGs but I think you could skip an upgrade step by going directly for the best Siglent model you can reasonably afford.  A feature rich good performing FG paired with a good entry scope (Rigol or Siglent) will give you a very good foundation for learning a lot.  If you can stretch to the 1032X you might not need another FG for a long time.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 04:03:19 am »
My budget is less than $300.  $250 for the generator + shipping from usa to my country around $50 . So even if i wan't to i can't afford the cheapest Siglent now. Where in the usa,  do they sell siglent generators or any other dds generator like Rigol for under $250 ?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 04:10:19 am by robsims »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 04:12:13 am »
My budget is less than $300.  $250 for the generator + shipping from usa to my country around $50 . So even if i wan't to i can't afford the cheapest Siglent now. Where in the usa,  do they sell siglent generators or any other dds generator like Rigol for under $250 ?
Here, 1ch 10 MHz:
https://store.siglentamerica.com/product/sdg810/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 05:54:50 am »

From what I've seen of similar era BK Precision products, they are fairly rugged and simple.  And crude...  The unit is probably built mostly of jellybean (stock) components that could be had at Radio Shack 20 years ago.  And BK supports their old stuff well (better than their new stuff) so you will likely be able to get a schematic and maybe a service manual.  And it will work for basic audio, although I'm not sure how you would use it for automotive electronics.  So if it works for you, don't let us stop you.

However, the reason we're trying to talk you out of this unit is that you can do much better for the money.  Used equipment here is often in very good condition--so the BK 4045B someone posted would be a much, much more useful tool and would cost half as much--and probably work for a very long time.  The Siglent that Tautech posted is also vastly superior in every conceivable way, except for the repairability issue.   
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 07:05:59 am »
Looks like the seller tautech linked sells the 1032X for $319.  Sometimes they give a discount for EEVblog members.  Probably not enough to meet your budget with shipping but maybe it’s close enough to save up.  The 1000 series is ahead of the 800 series and the 1032X is probably their most compelling model until you get to the 2042X.  I think you will not regret having two channels, extra bandwidth, and more features.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 07:57:59 am »
The Siglent that Tautech posted is also vastly superior in every conceivable way, except for the repairability issue.
Maybe better than you imagine, thanks to this forum.  ;)

IIRC all Siglent models have output protection that minimizes the risk of blowing the output stages from reverse voltages but when turned OFF there is no such protection.

Anyways, the output stages of many Siglent models have been well photographed so we can find and replace any damaged devices without more effort than a search through the appropriate SDG threads.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 03:17:00 pm »
The Siglent that Tautech posted is also vastly superior in every conceivable way, except for the repairability issue.

IIRC all Siglent models have output protection that minimizes the risk of blowing the output stages from reverse voltages but when turned OFF there is no such protection.

Anyways, the output stages of many Siglent models have been well photographed so we can find and replace any damaged devices without more effort than a search through the appropriate SDG threads.

Please explain what that means, and if possible give an example of a typical failure mode scenario.  Thx

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 07:55:16 pm »

Please explain what that means, and if possible give an example of a typical failure mode scenario.  Thx
RTFM  ;)
http://www.siglentamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2017/10/SDG1000X_UserManual_UM0201X-E01D.pdf
P121
2.13.10 Overvoltage Protection
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 07:57:37 pm »
If there is someone who has the siglent SDG810, please share you're experiences.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 08:05:36 pm »
fyi... Rigol has a DG1022A for $301 in their clearance section:

https://www.rigolna.com/clearance/

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 08:12:56 pm »
If there is someone who has the siglent SDG810, please share you're experiences.
I've sold ~30 to one customer for classroom use and we had some problems with early ones, all SW related however with the latest SW no more problems.  :phew:
Zero actual HW problems.

I will add that the courses they are used in care is taken to define correct use and therefore minimize the chance of user error.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2019, 08:41:46 pm »
Ok thanks, think i'm going with the Siglent SDG810

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline GerryR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2019, 10:28:49 pm »
I recently bought a BK 4045B used on ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/BK-Precision-4045B-20-MHz-DDS-Sweep-Function-Generator/273841129250) for $124.99.  Looks new and performs to spec.  He has 2 left.  Might be worth a look, if I'm not to late!
Still learning; good judgment comes from experience, which comes from bad judgment!!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2019, 01:08:43 am »
You know what i like about BK Precision equipment. They look like solid. Very robust. They look like they will never break.
I will look again at the options you guys gave me and then i will make a decision.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2019, 04:26:19 am »

RTFM  ;)
http://www.siglentamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2017/10/SDG1000X_UserManual_UM0201X-E01D.pdf
P121
2.13.10 Overvoltage Protection

tautech, I read p121 in the fine manual, but I'm still not clear on a few things:
1. What's the downside of turning on the OVP?  (If there is none, I'm guessing it would be on by default.)
2. What is an example of the most typical failure mode scenario that this is intended to prevent?
3. How is the Siglent approach to OVP any different than say Agilent/Keysight?  (As best I can tell the manual for a 33522 seems to reference OVP once with very little info on it one way or another.)

(Just not sure why you raised this... it is good of you to be up front in helping users stay alert... but looking for some more insight.  Thx)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf