Author Topic: Post soldering cleaning  (Read 1995 times)

Offline NoidzoidTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Post soldering cleaning
« on: July 08, 2018, 05:32:50 pm »
I wish to clean a board after soldering. I saw on eev on YouTube a toothbrush type brush being used by Dave. I understand an antistatic brush needs to be used and was just completing putting an order together and thought I would just add one of those.  What a shock I had when seeing that a single brush was approximately £10!!!!

My question is.....can a normal toothbrush be used IF I use an earth strap attached to it to prevent static?

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Post soldering cleaning
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 05:42:44 pm »
I use a normal toothbrush without straping it to anything, not recommended but never had a problem. Note that here humidity is always very high so ESD isn't a concern, we have other problems but not ESD.

JS

If I don't know how it works, I prefer not to turn it on.

The following users thanked this post: Noidzoid

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 05:52:31 pm »
ESD brushes may be required for process-certified applications, but for most uses a wood brush with animal hairs is sufficiently dissipative. They come in a range of shapes between $2 and $10 in single quantities. Remember that while the brush and board are wet with solvent, triboelectric charge generation is inhibited. It would not be a good idea to use them in a dry state.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 06:20:09 pm »
You could look ar TME. There are some cheap ESD brushes starting from like 2 quid. Shipping cost won't be justified if you order only that, though.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 10:19:55 pm »
I have always just used a toothbrush with some IPA. Ben doing it that way for many years. Never had a component fail from cleaning with that yet.

Offline exit_failure

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 01:37:09 am »
Antistatic brushes are about 1€ if you order them from China via ebay/aliexpress. Depending on how much you would use them they might be perfectly alright for what you're doing.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 02:06:51 am »
Antistatic brushes are about 1€ if you order them from China via ebay/aliexpress. Depending on how much you would use them they might be perfectly alright for what you're doing.
They might be perfectly non ESD safe as well, though. Just black plastic.

The following users thanked this post: mcinque

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 02:09:39 am »
It drives me crazy how non insulator stuff is hard to find and expensive but when you need a good dielectric ahaaa! Expensive and hard to find again....

JS

If I don't know how it works, I prefer not to turn it on.

Offline exit_failure

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 02:20:08 am »
They might be perfectly non ESD safe as well, though. Just black plastic.

ESD safe brushes are usually made out of carbon fibre which is electrically conductive. You should be able to test that with a multimeter. Worst case: you lose a buck.

Another idea (that I have not tested myself) would be buying a piece of ESD safe foam (the stuff ICs are (should be) shipped on). Cut it into small pieces and use it as a sponge. Just make sure you wear gloves when doing so since isopropyl alcohol is lipophilic (a solvent for fat) and can dry out your skin significantly.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 02:23:11 am by exit_failure »

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 02:59:25 am »
A spritz bottle w/ 50/50 nail polish remover and isopropyl, let it sit 10-20 seconds, then hit it with an old tooth brush (which were invented in the Outback otherwise if would have been a teeth brush)

then repeat with pure isopropyl.

Offline Sudo_apt-get_install_yum

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 06:01:51 am »
I have an unlimited supply of antistatic brushes through work; unless you’re working on super sensitive electronics it doesn’t really make much difference.
Just buy an antistatic brush and keep it around in case, its only 10€

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 09:25:26 am »
Just a reminder that alcohol is not static dissipative. There have been industrial explosions caused by the static charge in alcohol itself, caused by the motion of the alcohol flowing. So for anything delicate, I wouldn’t rely on alcohol to avoid static...

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 10:07:21 am »
ESD safe brushes are usually made out of carbon fibre which is electrically conductive. You should be able to test that with a multimeter. Worst case: you lose a buck.
They are made of carbon filled plastic, not carbon fiber.

Offline exit_failure

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 10:27:00 am »
They are made of carbon filled plastic, not carbon fiber.

You're absolutely right but for them to work properly they still need to be conductive.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 11:54:59 am »
ESD safe brushes are usually made out of carbon fibre which is electrically conductive.

I have bought ESD brushes from Aliexpress before, the first lot I bought at least had conductive handles in the range 5-10M, the second lot a couple years later appear 100% identical but do not show any conductivity at all, so they went in the dubious junk drawer, not being able to readily test them to see if they are just dissipative.

Now there are higher count meters readily available for everybody it's easy to test quite high resistances, but if you only have a 2000 count meter or whatever a simple trick is to use an LED and a (preferably current limited) supply capable of 30v or more, wind the voltage all the way up and use the handle of the brush as a resistor in series with the LED, even though some number of meg ohms a dim glow can be seen in the dark.

Not that it necessarily is of any real concern in a hobby situation, but if you're buying an ESD brush from China then you might as well check to see if it actually exhibits any property that is consistent with being an ESD brush.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf