Author Topic: Powering a 12volts 18Amp device from batteries  (Read 730 times)

Offline This_GuyTopic starter

Powering a 12volts 18Amp device from batteries
« on: January 19, 2022, 05:02:24 pm »
Hi,
 I have an LCD/mini computer combo that uses a AC/DC brick rated at 12Volts 18Amps, I want to power it using batteries, I am considering an 24..33.6Volts battery  and a buck regulator to provide 12V@18Amp.
After some time searching Aliexpress/EBay/Amazon I came out with  fake specifications and nothing really.

Making my own is an option, but it will take too much time I guess.
Any suggestions either for an existing one or an IC with low design complexity?

I also notice that the brick is 100V..240V AC, maybe an option would be a battery pack above 100V?

Offline mcz

• Contributor
Re: Powering a 12volts 18Amp device from batteries
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 05:25:03 pm »
Hi,
 I have an LCD/mini computer combo that uses a AC/DC brick rated at 12Volts 18Amps, I want to power it using batteries, I am considering an 24..33.6Volts battery  and a buck regulator to provide 12V@18Amp.
After some time searching Aliexpress/EBay/Amazon I came out with  fake specifications and nothing really.

Making my own is an option, but it will take too much time I guess.
Any suggestions either for an existing one or an IC with low design complexity?

I also notice that the brick is 100V..240V AC, maybe an option would be a battery pack above 100V?

So the output of your AC/DC brick is rated at 12V/18A? Would be interesting to know what the PC and LCD actually require aka their input specs.
But apart from that after some quick looking around it seems that Meanwell does indeed have more or less fitting DC/DC converters in the SD/RSD series. But they cost about 120€ or so.

Another option might be to parallel a lot of smaller DC/DC converter modules but I don't know if that's worth the hassle.

The following users thanked this post: This_Guy

Offline Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor

The following users thanked this post: This_Guy

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 06:33:23 pm »
Can you just use 12V battery?

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 07:11:59 pm »
Apart from obvious 12V battery advise, there is 48V battery with PKB4204PI, option and some more like  Murata DBE0125V2NBC. You shall avoid oversepecc'ed amazon/banggood/similar power supplies, especially if your device do not have overvoltage protection.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 07:15:09 pm by ogden »

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 08:16:03 pm »
So the output of your AC/DC brick is rated at 12V/18A? Would be interesting to know what the PC and LCD actually require aka their input specs.
Another option might be to parallel a lot of smaller DC/DC converter modules but I don't know if that's worth the hassle.

Thank you, I will take a look inside , perhaps there is a way to power the LCD monitor and the mini pc from different sources

Thank you all for the input.

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 08:47:16 pm »
Ok, inside there's a spliter board, the mini pc requires 12Volts @ 12Amp, the LCD requires 19Volts @ 1.3Amp, so I guess the spliter board contains a step up converter.

I can easly power the LCD with an XL4016 module from a 8S(24..33.6Volts) pack
Now I need a module capable of 12Volts @ 12Amp or more, I did had some from previous searches from what is available localy and:
 Ridden DPS5015 is now in range of use, however, I can only get it on Aliexpress/Bangood and that will take some time
 SZBK07 contains a terrible review on youtube, so skip it, or find a better review.
 this 200W 15A review https://youtu.be/glDXTyNsbWw is outputing 12V @ 12Amp but my russian isn't great :D

Did I miss any other modules ?

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 08:56:31 pm »
Can you just use 12V battery?

Thank you for sugestion, I have plenty of RC battery packs, so it will always be a multiple of 3..4.2Volts, the 4S when fully charged is 16.8Volts so it requires some conversion, not to mention thick cables to handle 18Amp (or 12Amp now), so I am thinking 8S.

Offline Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 09:06:09 pm »
Instead of looking at the 12V/18A brick powering the mini PC, why not look at the spec on the mini PC? I'll bet it has a built in switcher which has a range of voltages that it'll work with. So your RC battery might work just fine if connected directly.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 11:24:29 pm »
Instead of looking at the 12V/18A brick powering the mini PC, why not look at the spec on the mini PC? I'll bet it has a built in switcher which has a range of voltages that it'll work with. So your RC battery might work just fine if connected directly.

Might, and if you miss one small IC its blown and game over.
One obvious one is fans, they are rated for 12V, and would likely be directly connected to the input.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf