Author Topic: Powering Remote control switch (with Relay) from the same mains supply  (Read 1043 times)

Offline 4krubyTopic starter

• Contributor
Hello,

I have never done switching mains voltage. I have worked separately with mains supply and also have a bit of experience in electronics.
I have a circuit similar to this one : http://embedded-lab.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/IR_RemoteCkt-550x375.jpg

Now, the problem is with powering the project. For a simpler solution, the electronics control part can be powered by a battery and the Line wire can be switched using the relay.
But what if I want to power the project directly from the mains using a SMPS in between? I have few thoughts (just thoughts) can anyone provide their valuable feedback?

I am having in mind to place the circuit (with SMPS) after the main switch (in the switch board). The SMPS will be connected in parallel with the load (and before the load). After the SMPS, the LINE wire will be controlled by the relay. Is there any flaw in this design?

Thanks.

Offline Manul

• Super Contributor
You need to connect your SMPS before the relay. In other words, to the point where mains voltage is present all the time. So not in parallel with load. If in doubt, draw a schematic and post it here.

• Contributor
Thanks for your reply.
What I meant is like the attached picture.

In that the SMPS is connected across the load right? No?

Offline Manul

• Super Contributor
What I meant is that you obviously don't want to turn off your SMPS when you turn off load with relay, so it should not be in parallel with load. Your schematic is correct, but I would not call such arrangement "parallel with load" or "across the load", because there is a relay in between which can be on or off. Normally, "parallel" or "across" literally means that there is a direct connection.

The following users thanked this post: 4kruby

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
You can signal over mains if you want. Just like network over mains. There are loads of ways to do it: https://www.homemade-circuits.com/remote-control-using-mains-power-line-communication/

• Contributor
What I meant is that you obviously don't want to turn off your SMPS when you turn off load with relay, so it should not be in parallel with load. Your schematic is correct, but I would not call such arrangement "parallel with load" or "across the load", because there is a relay in between which can be on or off. Normally, "parallel" or "across" literally means that there is a direct connection.
Ah yes. Thank you. I was not considering the relay (I was assuming a direct connection - say when the relay is ON, then it literally is across the load) so it skipped my head.

You can signal over mains if you want. Just like network over mains. There are loads of ways to do it: https://www.homemade-circuits.com/remote-control-using-mains-power-line-communication/
Thanks for the link. This looks promising to try. I have vaguely heard about PLC. But never ventured into it more than that. This topic looks interesting.

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
Hello,

I have never done switching mains voltage. I have worked separately with mains supply and also have a bit of experience in electronics.
I have a circuit similar to this one : http://embedded-lab.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/IR_RemoteCkt-550x375.jpg

Now, the problem is with powering the project. For a simpler solution, the electronics control part can be powered by a battery and the Line wire can be switched using the relay.
But what if I want to power the project directly from the mains using a SMPS in between? I have few thoughts (just thoughts) can anyone provide their valuable feedback?

I am having in mind to place the circuit (with SMPS) after the main switch (in the switch board). The SMPS will be connected in parallel with the load (and before the load). After the SMPS, the LINE wire will be controlled by the relay. Is there any flaw in this design?

Thanks.
put the LED in collector T2, that way you also monitor T2
the schematic you draw by hand won't work, causality...
[edit->i deleted unclear stuff]
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 06:19:13 am by perieanuo »

• Contributor
the schematic you draw by hand won't work, causality...in those cases, either you put the relay switch just to validate mains to load, either you add a small 'standby' smps/transformer. cheaper is with the first one of course, but your smps should work with taht small standby current on 5V rail

Hello,
Thanks for your reply. I got your first statement. But I just based my circuit on this example, and I didn't include the indicated LED itself :)
And for the second point, I am not sure what you are trying to suggest. Is it coherent with the pic attached in post #3?

Thanks.

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
the schematic you draw by hand won't work, causality...

Hello,
Thanks for your reply. I got your first statement. But I just based my circuit on this example, and I didn't include the indicated LED itself :)
And for the second point, I am not sure what you are trying to suggest. Is it coherent with the pic attached in post #3?

Thanks.
on second point, yes i was referring to post 3, the schematic you draw by pencil (you didn't mention it was you in fact), that one:
Thanks for your reply.
What I meant is like the attached picture.

In that the SMPS is connected across the load right? No?
what i say is simple: it's a cause-effect direct connection: series switch controlled by RELAY can't be closed for simple cause: your smps has no power in order to activate that relay. it's some classic cause-effect negation, well it's a little bit philosophy. the effect cannot happen because the cause (the powered smps) doesn't exists, to put this simple
what i proposed is to move the switch just before the load, and smps powered directly from mains
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 06:17:53 am by perieanuo »

• Contributor
Re: Powering Remote control switch (with Relay) from the same mains supply
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 04:21:51 am »
Okay,
I got you. You wanted the Circuit and SMPS to be always powered as long as there is mains supply. But what I was trying here is, I don't want the circuit to be operational always. I just wanted it to activate only when needed. That is the reason it is placed after the appliance(a light bulb) switch.

Basically, I am trying to connect the appliance to the NC contact of the relay. So, the effect desired is, if the remote control is not used, we can normally operate it without the need of the remote. But if needed, the switch needs to be ON and we can control to switchoff and switchon the appliance with remote.

Thanks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf