Author Topic: Question about transformer  (Read 1248 times)

Offline little_carlosTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Question about transformer
« on: April 28, 2016, 04:14:50 am »
Hi, so i made a 3 amp 30 volt psu, every thing was fine, was able to handle 2.8 amps at 30 volts no problem, but these days something weird is happening, when i put a load bigger than 1.8 amps the transformer starts to make a hum, didnt used to do it before, its weird, can some one explain me what is happening? should i replace it?

Offline Kappes Buur

• Regular Contributor
Re: Question about transformer
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 05:13:04 am »
A transformer is not a solid block of iron. Instead it is made of several thin, preshaped pieces called laminations., which means that there is always an airgap between those laminations. As the load increases, the transformer has to 'work' harder and the laminations begin to vibrate, producing this hum.

Good transformers are dunked into shellac, which penetrates, or at least should do so, these airgaps which in principle should dampen these vibrations and thusly the hum.

As long as the transformer stays warm, there is no concern. However, if the transformer gets hot you should be thinking of replacing it.

Offline orolo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 08:50:23 am »
Excessive hum can be a sign of saturation. Check your power supply for shorts or overloads. There could be a bad solder joint, failing cap, whatever. Check for current draw at the secondary side, with all due cautions.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 09:13:44 am »
Check the rectifier diodes.  If one has gone O/C, you'd only be getting half-wave rectification, drawing pulsed DC from the secondary which would cause saturation and hum at a significantly lower current than the normal full-wave rectification which draws a balanced AC current. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf