Author Topic: Using a US switch for 230V locations  (Read 3039 times)

Offline daleeTopic starter

Using a US switch for 230V locations
« on: July 21, 2015, 02:36:47 pm »
Hello All

A quick question:
  I am thinking of using this switch :
  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Decora-15-Amp-Tamper-Resistant-Combo-Switch-and-Outlet-White-R62-T5625-0WS/202027001#specifications

in a 230V, AC situation. The manufacturer says that is is rated only for 120 (and the 277 printed on the website is a mistake). I will be switching only about 1 amp, so I am not very concerned about the current, but am not sure if this will handle the higher voltage.

Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks
Dale

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
Re: Using a US switch for 230V locations
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 02:56:08 pm »
It won't sustain 15A at 230V, but I would certainly have thought it could handle 1A.

You will have to reduce the current carrying capability for higher voltages, I would say perhaps 5A max for a safe bet?  You would never / should never run it close to the stated limit in any case.

I have an american socket with 230V AC on as it was cheaper to buy one from Ebay than buy an adaptor!

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 03:01:36 pm »
Right. I do not like the adapters also as they do not fit well in the socket. I wanted to use the regular (native) NEMA sockets.

As I said I am not worried about the amps at all ( I will be drawing less than 1 amps at 230 V), but the voltage is a concern. I call the manufacturer and they said it is rated at 120 Volts only (and the store's website, which says 120/277 V, is wrong). Since this is a remote installation, I am a bit concerned about the higher voltage. I just don't know how it would handle it.

On the plus side, this is in a steel NEMA box, mounted on a concrete wall (and not combustible material close by)

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 03:22:53 pm »
The problem is the rate of contact opening and the gap when open.  If either the gap or rate of opening are too small, it may fail to clear the arc on opening under load, which is likely to result in destruction of the whole switch.   Neither it nor the associated socket are rated for 220V operation, why would you even consider using them on 230V?  Also using that plug/socket configuration for 220V would be a violation of the N.E.C in the USA.

If you are actually an Andorran, change the plug on the equipment to a Schuko one and use an appropriately rated socket and switch.  OTOH you say NEMA sockets are 'native' which seems unlikely for a European microstate so where the ....... are you actually?

If you cant change the plug because its on a nasty far east wall wart, at least use an UNSWITCHED socket, insulation test it to 1KV before installation and use an appropriately rated separate switch.   

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 03:55:08 pm »
According to the Leviton site:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=5625-W&section=42298&minisite=10251

the unit can handle 2 HP at 240V although the ratings are a bit confusing.  But, if it can switch that kind of inductive load at 240V, you should have no trouble.

But if you're considering using a 'foreign' plug, maybe you should consider this one:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=BSRDP-W&section=42298&minisite=10251

Same idea, but uses a British Standard plug.  No question what it's ratings are!

Ed

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 03:56:12 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

To add to the original post and clarify why I am even looking at this for 230V , I am using this to control few low wattage devices that is universal voltage (110/230 V, 50/60 Hz). The devices all have the straight USA plugs, and instead of using an adapter on a schuko socket, I wanted to use the US receptacle.  Another secondary reason is that I do not want others to plug in any other local device.

I tried looking up the relevant UL standard to see how it was tested and rated, but drew a blank.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 04:16:01 pm »
You are not likely to have any trouble going over the switch rating like that, but from my observations the Leviton brand is designed down to a price. The products do not feel like good quality. Another brand to consider is Pass & Seymour, which seems better made to me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf