Author Topic: Raytheon FLIR 2000AS - Won't power on.  (Read 3414 times)

Offline WizzardTopic starter

Raytheon FLIR 2000AS - Won't power on.
« on: November 29, 2013, 03:33:21 am »
Howdy, folks! Brought here by the E4 mod thread.

I had an old 'project-made' thermal imager, with a 3rd party framecap card, powered by 12V NIMH. The core was a Raytheon 2000AS 160x120 a-Si microbolometer.

Disassembled some months ago, troubleshooting the poorly made framecap card (a mess of wires, previous owned had put a screw through them sealing it all up). Got it working again, functioned well.

After testing that it worked, I went to integrating the module into a new project - A combined nIR/fIR imager, consisting of a low-power Gen1 nightvision, the 2000AS module, and a nice .25" LCD for an eyepiece. All seemed well.

On double checking everything, applying 3V power (2 of new, tested AA), nothing. No bootup chopper, no power draw from the module. No magic smoke was detected by my delicate nostrils, and the unit was only handled with the utmost care.

On reassembling the unit into it's previous home - Same symptom. Now, I'm quite handy with a soldering iron, and surface-mount - But this is a multi-layer board, and I can't follow enough traces to check this on my own. I have the spec sheet, and I know for certain everything is correct. I've stepped back, and reexamined after a few day's break - No dice.

So this seems like the right place to ask - Can anybody offer any advice, or possibly a bucket to cry into? These things don't come cheap!

Pictures on request, but there are no visible problems.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Raytheon FLIR 2000AS - Won't power on.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 03:38:25 pm »
@Wizzard,

We spoke previously on this matter.

I have just offered some comment to a chap with a FLIR B2 that fails to boot. Maybe there is something in my response to him that would also be helpful to you ?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/flir-thermcam-b2-repair/msg359568/#msg359568
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline WizzardTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 05:29:20 pm »
I will check the power rails - I actually managed to acquire the manual, with pinouts and brief explanations of the functions. I put some work into it, troubleshooting it to the best of my ability - I guess it's been long enough that I'll take another, fresh look at it.

Offline leighmorrissmith

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 01:50:15 am »
Could you send me the pinout diagram or schematics for the DSP board for the Raytheon 2000AS?

Thanks!

Offline ryount

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 11:41:04 pm »
Can you please send me the manual to that 2000as.

Ryount@copper.net

Offline pubo

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 02:30:40 am »
I'm after the manual and documentation for the 2000as core too. Anyone kind enough to upload it?  ;D

Cheers and thanks in advance

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 12:22:16 pm »
From memory, the documentation is not public domain and should not be uploaded to a public forum.

You have not detailed your country in your profile. That matters when discussing documentation for thermal camera cores such as the 2000AS.

Fraser
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:24:52 pm by Fraser »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 12:31:34 pm »
I see from past posts you are located in Sydney.

I will see what I can do for you.

Fraser

The following users thanked this post: pubo

Offline pubo

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 10:13:02 pm »
From memory, the documentation is not public domain and should not be uploaded to a public forum.

You have not detailed your country in your profile. That matters when discussing documentation for thermal camera cores such as the 2000AS.

Fraser

Hey mate. Yeah, I'm situated in Sydney. Wasn't really aware they were highly controlled documents.

Its just I have one of these cores laying around, without the DSP board. Was thinking of tinkering around with it but don't want to apply power to it without any vague info.

Anyway it'll be a great help if you have them manuals. Cheers

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 12:20:52 am »
Hi Pubo,

The situation with documentation for these Thermal Eye cores is a little weird. Normally technical detail on the Raytheon Cores was controlled, but having looked at the ICD for a 3500 I see no confidentiality statements or dissemination controls shown on it.

ASi cores used to be exempt from ITAR they were later included as their performance improved. So ASi core documentation can be a grey area in terms of how it must be handled. I will look into my archives and see if i can find any useful information for you that is not marked up as company confidential or such like.

P.S. If you lived in NK, I would not be able to help you  ;D

Fraser

Offline pubo

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 12:57:09 am »
Guess I'm lucky to be on the other side of the globe. Lol

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 01:45:56 am »
Well I just searched my archives and found everything except an ICD for the 2000AS core !

I did find a single photo in the archive that shows the pinout of the connectors though  :) No idea where I got the picture from.

The datasheet will contain the operating voltage and current draw.

Be aware that some Thermal Eye cores require the video output to be terminated in 75 Ohms before video will be presented to the output.

The 2000AS is pretty much a self contained fully automatic core with virtually no user settable options. It is unlike the later 3xxx and 4xxx cores that have many options to choose from. As such you really only need the connector pinout to use it and it will produce the best image that it can for you. An early 'plug and play' core commonly used in fire fighting cameras.

I presume you have already found the following thread that discusses the similar 2620AS core ? It contains the user manual. It will likely be similar to your 2000AS in many respects.

Fraser
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 12:07:30 pm by Fraser »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 01:54:13 am »
I just re-read your description of your core. You do not have the DSP board .....Hmmm not sure that I can help much then.
I have not seen a 2000AS running without the DSP board and do not know whether it can be used without it.

Fraser

Offline pubo

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 02:37:51 am »
No worries mate. Appreciate your help regardless.

I'm sure that diagram will come in handy someday.

Cheers again!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf