Author Topic: Ready to remove that cap on my Harman Kardon  (Read 6098 times)

Offline tony3dTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Ready to remove that cap on my Harman Kardon
« on: May 09, 2016, 06:31:00 pm »
Well I think I'm ready to give that SMD CAP a shot at removal. What do you guys think of this method? Was going to buy the tweezers for my solder station, but every review I have read has been terrible! Go to 16:39 on the time scale to find the removal. By the way the unit is still operating fine with the paralleled through hole cap.

https://youtu.be/XjauOGwmKH8
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 06:41:01 pm by tony3d »

Offline mikeys

• Contributor
Re: Ready to remove that cap on my Harman Kardon
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 06:38:07 pm »
I'd be pretty paranoid about using side cutters to remove SMD in case I ripped a pad off, but I'm a worrier. If you could update your link with one at the time where he's snipping at the components with the side cutters, you might get better responses. Took me a little while of skipping through to figure out where what you were talking about was going on.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 06:39:50 pm »
I'd be pretty paranoid about using side cutters to remove SMD in case I ripped a pad off, but I'm a worrier. If you could update your link with one at the time where he's snipping at the components with the side cutters, you might get better responses. Took me a little while of skipping through to figure out where what you were talking about was going on.

Sorry just thought of that. Done!

Offline stmdude

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 06:55:57 pm »
I'm ashamed to admit that I've actually used that "method"..

Yes, there is a chance that you'll rip a pad (I've done it. Not often, but it happens).
You'll need a _sharp_ pair of sidecutters, and cut as low down on the metal cylinder as possible. (clearance might be an issue)
Your sharp side-cutters are now no longer sharp.

If I were you, I'd go get the cheapest soldering-iron money can buy, and use that one together with the one you already have, one each side, and lift the component from both sides.

Am I assuming correct that when you say "tweezers", you mean something like this: http://www.jbctools.com/productes/PA120-A/img/tam_1/imagen_01.jpg ?
If so, don't waste your money. I have two, and I never use them. There's a pair at work as well, just as unused.

Offline cvanc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 07:00:08 pm »
Agreed on the concern; side cutters seem like a risk to the integrity of the copper.

What is your solder station and what tweezers are you shopping?

We're just talking about removing one cap, right?  Can't you just use a very tiny straight tip and melt/lift one terminal at a time as far as it will go, let it cool and do the same to the other side, return to the first side, etc; "rocking" the cap up and off the board until it is free and clear?

In any case good luck.

Offline Fortran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 07:17:32 pm »
If you're thinking of buying tweezers to your soldering station, why not spend that on one of those cheap hot-air stations?
They are so much more useful than tweezers.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 01:37:45 pm »
Check this out. I watch this guy a lot, and he really is good. This is only one cap. What do you think?
https://youtu.be/X8N9O3a9jiM

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 01:43:47 pm »
I prefer this method (jump to 10:30) :

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 01:49:43 pm »
I do like that better! Need to find some old practice board.

Offline stmdude

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 02:46:37 pm »
All methods that involves tearing or cutting the cap off from the board has risk involved with it.

Just get an extra crap iron and lift it with no risk.

I just made a video to show how quick and easy it actually is:

( Video is processing right now, should be available for viewing quite soon )

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 04:33:25 pm »
All methods that involves tearing or cutting the cap off from the board has risk involved with it.

Just get an extra crap iron and lift it with no risk.

I just made a video to show how quick and easy it actually is:

( Video is processing right now, should be available for viewing quite soon )

Certainly looks safer. I may have a cheap old Radio Shack pencil iron.

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 04:52:48 pm »
Check this out. I watch this guy a lot, and he really is good. This is only one cap. What do you think?
https://youtu.be/X8N9O3a9jiM

SMD electrolytic caps don't really have as strong a solder joint as you might think. Somehow those pins don't adhere all that well to the solder joint, even if it looks nicely flowed.
I wouldn't be surprised at all to find that the pins have sheared off the solder completely and only the solder with an indent where the pin used to be is left.
It's why the method presented here by Mr Carlson's Lab works.

But you have been in there with a solder iron, and for that reason I wouldn't recommend this method. If you have a second iron, then by all means go for the two iron "tweezer type" desoldering.

Offline stmdude

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 05:04:04 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised at all to find that the pins have sheared off the solder completely and only the solder with an indent where the pin used to be is left.

Actually, if you look closely in the last video, when he reflows the pads, he picks up the sheared off pins as well.

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 05:22:33 pm »
There's always the chance that they will break in the twisting motion that Mr Carlson uses.

My job is in electronics production, and I have seen quite a few of these caps that were knocked off by accident leaving a further undamaged board, and no pins left in the solder. But it depends a bit on the angle, if the blow comes from the wrong angle, the pads might lift from the pcb. So, I'd still recommend a desoldering method over the brute force method.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 09:45:22 pm »
There's always the chance that they will break in the twisting motion that Mr Carlson uses.

My job is in electronics production, and I have seen quite a few of these caps that were knocked off by accident leaving a further undamaged board, and no pins left in the solder. But it depends a bit on the angle, if the blow comes from the wrong angle, the pads might lift from the pcb. So, I'd still recommend a desoldering method over the brute force method.

Ya, I think that probably is the way to go. Going to have to order a cheap pencil iron. Any suggestions?

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 12:08:34 am »
If you cut just above the plastic piece it will come right off and it leaves the leads. Put your cutters in the groove or just above it, I have never found it to dull the blades either...and I've done it with Harbor Freight cutters, Xcelite, Hakko. My only issue was with Knipex where they don't open far enough, but you can also use diagonal cutters(as long as they're sharp) and it will still work fine.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 12:26:15 am »
Tried chipquik superlow melting point solder?
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 03:56:25 am »
Just go down to (what's left of) Radio Shack and pick up a $5 soldering iron.  Now you can unsolder it without any tweezers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf