Author Topic: Recommend a good heater ?  (Read 1325 times)

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
Re: Recommend a good heater ?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 11:19:33 pm »
My impression is that all of these "858" hot air workstations are basically the same.

The main defect I've seen in tear-downs is that some safety issues related to fusing, grounding and the polarity of mains input (line vs neutral). I got a "858" unit off of Amazon for $30 and it came with a spare heater. All of those issues had been addressed with the exception that the painted metal case was not earth grounded - something that is easily fixed.

Things that jump out at me about the KSGER unit...

- power switch is inconveniently placed in the rear
- I don't know how difficult changing the air speed is with the rotary encoder... the other 858 clones have separate temp and air speed controls
- they give you a handle rest, but there's no place on the unit to mount it. on the 858 clones the handle rest contains a magnet which allows the control circuitry to know when you've set the handle in the rest
- doesn't come with a spare heater unit

Update... noticed these comments on the KSGER aliexpress page:

Very clever Hot Air Gun. Unfortunately, this device still does not conform to most countries safety regulations: The metal housing must be connected to earth! Easy to do modification and many instructions as to how it can be done can be found on the internet. It would be nice if this would come standard from the factory. 25 Apr 2021 23:00

Hot air is as described. Heats up VERY fast. One thing to keep in mind is that the hot air gun will keep running at full speed after you turn it off, so it can cool down. Only issue I have is that there is no place to attach the holder to the station; you have to find somewhere on your bench for that if you want to use the holder. 14 Apr 2021 06:23

« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 11:23:58 pm by ledtester »

Offline l3gi0nTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 11:26:16 pm »
Is there a particular 858 clone/version that you would recommend ?

Anything else besides the 858  family ?

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 11:42:07 pm »
Is there a particular 858 clone/version that you would recommend ?

Anything else besides the 858  family ?

Have a look at the Quick 957DW+ .  I have the Quick 861DW and the QUICK TS1200A . Both work like a charm and haven't had any problems with either . I've been using the same tip in the TS1200A for the last 2 years and it still looks great . The 861DW can melt off quite large chips and components in moments without preheating . Very pleased with the brand . They are a bit more expensive but worth it in my opinion. 

Offline Softboxdz

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 02:13:35 am »
Have a look on sugon 8610xd like charm … you will love it

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 02:21:46 am »
I've not yet gotten hot air, but everything I've read suggests those "858" style stations with the blower in the handle are barely worth the $30 you used to be able to get them for.

Offline l3gi0nTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 04:12:38 pm »
Since all of the 8858 variants and the Quick 957DW+ have problems with showing the accurate temperature I decided to go with the cheapest 8858 variant ... This:

« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 04:14:20 pm by l3gi0n »

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 04:20:19 pm »
Sounds excessively expensive for this classic clone of clones. I bought mine for some $30 IIRC but it was years ago I admit. I bet they are all the same regardless whether it costs $30 or $100 as it is not any proper brand anyway.

Mine was dangerous as the protective earth wire was hanging with one strand of wire partially crimped in a lug with 50 ohms(!) of contact resistance, which is quite a feat, try to repeat that! So the first thing to do is to open up the unit and fix grounding to make it less dangerous. Other than that, mine has been working really good and I really can't say anything bad about the performance. Don't remember the brand, maybe it's some Hylkko or similar.

Offline de.leon

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2022, 03:17:00 pm »
Nothing but problems.  Bought mine only to find they shipped a 220v handset so it would not heat much. Then replaced the coil of the heater to find the thermocouple of the 110v was not compatible with the control unit so re wrapped the 110v coil on the original ceramic using the original thermocouple and presto, it worked… for a week. Left it on with the reed switch disabling the unit for a couple of hours to find the whole unit dead.  Seems to be a short in the control pc board as the power supply lights up when the control board is not plugged into it.  Can’t get a replacement control board so I have to trouble shoot that now.  In a bit over my head at this point.  Don’t mind a bit of trouble shooting but it would be nice if I could actually use the tool from time to time.
If anyone has any ideas I would welcome the advice.when I plug in the 5 pin connector between display control board and power supply I get a small spark and the led on the power supply goes out.
I’m suspecting the 09AL N01A but I can’t find a replacement.  Pulled the Triac on the ps and tested it seems fine.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2022, 06:39:00 pm »
I have the Atten 858D+, which is basically the same handle, but the power block with controls is decent and safety is OK.

The handle itself is nothing spectacular. It's pretty cheaply built.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf