Author Topic: Reduce the thump sound from a analog drum circuit  (Read 3321 times)

Offline nathanpcTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Innove Workshop
Reduce the thump sound from a analog drum circuit
« on: June 05, 2016, 07:17:29 pm »
I've been thinking about building a drum machine for quite some time. To start things out I decided to look for some of the basic circuits that are required for it, so I stumbled across this circuit and decided to try it out. It does produce a very convincing sound. This is the circuit I've prototyped on a breadboard:

The only difference is that I'm using a LM358 opamp and the input is a push button with a 10k resistor to ground and a 10k resistor to the 9V rail, but I'm having a bit of a problem (or maybe the circuit is supposed to be like this and I'm just being dumb), as you can see are are two very loud thump sounds when I press the button and when I release it, what can I do to remove, reduce or improve the circuit to have a better drum sound?

Offline sync

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Reduce the thump sound from a analog drum circuit
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 07:57:57 pm »
You need a short pulse on the input. Maybe 1ms. When using a single supply the input should be about V+/2 with the short pulse to V+ or ground.

• Supporter
    • Innove Workshop
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 08:46:36 pm »
Oh! Thanks very much sync! That solved the problem it's now working great!

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 09:00:24 pm »
Yes, you were saturating the op-amp too.

How are you generating the short pulse? You could try a piezo transducer or a monotstable+ switch.

The LM358 isn't the best opamp for this because it suffers from crossover distortion.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 09:04:56 pm by Hero999 »

• Supporter
    • Innove Workshop
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 09:08:20 pm »
Hero999, for now I'm using a PIC with a super simple program to turn on a MOSFET for about 1ms when I hit a switch, but the finished project will be controlled all from 7400/4000-series logic and a huge amount of switches.

I'm using the LM358 just because it was the first thing I saw on my bench haha, in the final design I'll probably use the LM833 since I have a massive amount of them.

Offline sync

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 10:29:05 pm »
Btw: the real 808 drum voices using more complex circuits. For example the base drum. TRIG is the trigger shared with all voices. It's a positive pulse. When an accent is played the amplitude of TRIG is higher. BD selects the base drum. See the TR-808 service manual for more information.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 04:26:08 am »
I thought drums were supposed to make a "thump" sound. :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf