Author Topic: Regulable linear power supply with discrete components and short circuit protect  (Read 2203 times)

Offline timofonicTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
Hello.

I'm a novice electronics student and need a regulable lineal power supply. I used the search function of the forum and was unable to find a similar question to mine.

- I have virtually unlimited supply of discrete components from the lab.
- I have very limited access to ICs, but I may buy stuff like LM317 is they are cheap to buy and can make the design easier.
- Despite of all that, I have a very limited budged to buy stuff.

Are there some schematic to do? Preferable to not need to make my own PCB.

Regards.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
The LM317 is cheap and it's just about guaranteed to work, though it does have some limitations. You should get some. Then find and download the data sheets. There are several and some have many more example circuits than others. Watch Dave's first power supply (#221) video. He went over how the LM317 operates in some detail before deciding to go with a different, more expensive regulator.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
One of the adjustable linear regulator IC's is your best bet IMO. 317,337 etc
Nearly all of their datasheets have a simple PSU circuit.
Easy to implement, reliable, inbuilt thermal and short circuit protection as well as fold-back current limiting.
Their main drawback is dissapation, but if you limit your design to say 15 V that will reduce it lots.

Spend good money on a Bournes 10 turn pot, you won't regret it.
Good output terminals also make a PSU a pleasure to use, see if you can find some with 4mm cross drilled holes as well as suitable for 4mm banana leads.
Speaker cabinet types usually are good grunty types.

As for forum searches use the Search  button close to the Home button for all searches.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf