Author Topic: PWM.. an AC voltage or DC??????  (Read 14178 times)

Offline elex_enthusiastTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Everything has user-salvageable parts inside!!!!
PWM.. an AC voltage or DC??????
« on: May 27, 2013, 01:34:38 pm »
i am a bit confused if a pwm an AC volt or a DC?... and i am wondering if it is posible to measure its true rms value by an AC function of my DMM..please explain....
Always learn how to break and fix things electronics!

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: PWM.. an AC voltage or DC??????
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 01:56:37 pm »
i am a bit confused if a pwm an AC volt or a DC?... and i am wondering if it is posible to measure its true rms value by an AC function of my DMM..please explain....

It's neither, really.  AC means that the voltage/current changes polarity.  A PWM signal typically is a logic signal that turns on and off.  So, a PWM signal is more accurately described as a pulsed DC signal.

Most True-RMS reading DMMs will AC couple the signal when set to AC, so they won't give you the right reading because the DC component is taken away.  If you put the meter in DC mode, it may read the average voltage properly (depending on the meter, and the frequency of the PWM signal). But, the average voltage of a PWM signal is not the same as the RMS value.

Some True-RMS DMMs may specifically state that they measure true-rms AC+DC.  If so, then they should read the RMS value correctly, as long as the frequency of the signal is within the capability of the meter.

I just did a video on this. 
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/back-to-basics-video-what-is-rms-voltage/
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 02:06:11 pm »
You can compute the RMS value.

avg = duty * peak
rms = sqrt(duty*peak^2) = sqrt(avg*peak)

So measure the average (filter it with an RC filter if the meter is confused), and you should know the peak (what voltage is the circuit running at?), then find sqrt(avg*peak).
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline elex_enthusiastTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Everything has user-salvageable parts inside!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 03:42:38 am »

It's neither, really.  AC means that the voltage/current changes polarity.  A PWM signal typically is a logic signal that turns on and off.  So, a PWM signal is more accurately described as a pulsed DC signal.

Most True-RMS reading DMMs will AC couple the signal when set to AC, so they won't give you the right reading because the DC component is taken away.  If you put the meter in DC mode, it may read the average voltage properly (depending on the meter, and the frequency of the PWM signal). But, the average voltage of a PWM signal is not the same as the RMS value.

Some True-RMS DMMs may specifically state that they measure true-rms AC+DC.  If so, then they should read the RMS value correctly, as long as the frequency of the signal is within the capability of the meter.

I just did a video on this. 
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/back-to-basics-video-what-is-rms-voltage/

so does it mean that the ac+dc function of my fluke 287 can determine the rms vlaue of a pwm signal?...i thought it was only good for mixed signals
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 03:57:43 am by elex_enthusiast »
Always learn how to break and fix things electronics!

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 03:47:28 am »
so does it mean that the ac+dc function of my fluke 287 can determine the two rms vlaue of a pwm signal?...i thought it was only good for mixed signals

Yes, it can, as long as the frequency isn't too high. Looks like the 287 has a 100 kHz bandwidth - try to stay below 50 kHz or so. It's a square wave, so it has high frequency content that will be lost.

What do you think "mixed signals" means??
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 04:18:14 am »
It's both. Usually, only the DC component is what ultimately matters, but it's possible to make real use of the AC component. For example, if you have a piezo attached to the PWM output of a microcontroller, you could use low duty cycles to reduce the volume.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf