Author Topic: Removing surge protection from power strip  (Read 1157 times)

Offline taste_testerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Removing surge protection from power strip
« on: May 22, 2022, 08:32:17 pm »
I am concerned that some UPS, like the UPS I use in my home office, state not to use surge protectors with it, however I don't know if it's because a statement to prevent end users from overloading the unit with too much plugged into it, or if the surge protection circuit interferes with the UPS' job of monitoring  power.

i know some cheaper surge protectors are simply a plain power strip with the mains routed through some MOV's,  rather than any PCB with the surge protection on there, so i thought maybe remove the MOVs and just direct power to the power strip.

Online BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
Re: Removing surge protection from power strip
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 09:24:22 pm »
APC also recommeds not to use a power strip to feed the UPS.

Online CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 03:00:57 pm »
Those modified sinewave invertors have a very high peak voltage and very square corners with lots of harmonics. The high peak voltage will disturb the typical 130L10 and 130L20 MOV's. Older MOV's with a lot of hours on them are even more likely to break down. Usually when an MOV fails it does so with a lot of flame and flying pieces and often the only thing left is two tiny nubs of wire where an MOV once resided. When doing sound at the carnivals where power comes from generator trailers I have had lots of MOV's bid farewell with flame and smoke.
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

The following users thanked this post: taste_tester

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 05:20:08 pm »
If you want to retain some surge suppression capability, you can try one or a combination of the below:

If the existing MOVs are rated for 300Vac continuous (which is a very common rating, usually marked ‘471’) on the MOV, increase the MOV clamping voltage rating to ‘561’ or ‘621’. Higher clamping voltage means the MOVs will not get so worn out over time, by whatever heinous spikes the inverter is generating. On the other hand, higher clamping voltage means less surge suppression capability. This is sort of a shot in the dark unless you know exactly what (open circuit, no MOV) peak voltages it is producing.

You can also retain the original clamping voltage, but instead use a thermally protected MOV, such as Littelfuse TMOV. If the inverter does, in fact, wear out the MOV over time, causing total failure of the MOV, it (the MOV) *should* go open circuit instead of creating a hazardous (fire) situation.

You can also try both at the same time, to be extra precautious.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 05:22:09 pm by TimNJ »

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 05:25:34 pm »
Or maybe, just don’t plug it into a surge protector (like they said).  ;)

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, taste_tester

Offline taste_testerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 08:33:01 am »
I had actually thought when they said "don't use a surge protector with it" I assumed that meant on the outputs of the UPS.  It didn't even cross my mind someone might try and plug it into a surge protector  :palm:

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 08:43:20 am »
Those modified sinewave invertors have a very high peak voltage and very square corners with lots of harmonics. The high peak voltage will disturb the typical 130L10 and 130L20 MOV's.
I have encountered this problem! Many such UPS's generate output peak voltages which exceed the maximum allowable, and are high enough to cause damage to switch-mode power supplies connected to them. They actually generate output voltage surges! It is much less of a problem in 110V-land, because the majority of switch-mode supplies are now universal input so can cope, but surge protectors on the UPS output will still trip - correctly, as they should.

If the UPS output is unsuitable for use with a surge protector on its output then it is unsuitable for use, full stop. FWIW I have settled on APC BackUPS 700 for use here in 240V-land, which I have measured do not output excessive peak voltage.

Online BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2022, 11:42:09 pm »
Probably easier to just buy plain power bars, that are <$5, than modifying an existing surge protector?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2022, 12:51:34 am »
I frequently remove the MOVs from UPS's and occasionally power strips, after seeing them burn up more than once, in one case burning hole in the carpet at a place I used to work after the building developed a bad neutral connection I just don't trust them. Power surges are rare where I am, I've never had anything damaged by a surge that I'm aware of.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2022, 07:50:40 pm »
Those modified sinewave invertors have a very high peak voltage and very square corners with lots of harmonics. The high peak voltage will disturb the typical 130L10 and 130L20 MOV's.
I have encountered this problem! Many such UPS's generate output peak voltages which exceed the maximum allowable, and are high enough to cause damage to switch-mode power supplies connected to them. They actually generate output voltage surges! It is much less of a problem in 110V-land, because the majority of switch-mode supplies are now universal input so can cope, but surge protectors on the UPS output will still trip - correctly, as they should.

If the UPS output is unsuitable for use with a surge protector on its output then it is unsuitable for use, full stop. FWIW I have settled on APC BackUPS 700 for use here in 240V-land, which I have measured do not output excessive peak voltage.

I find this whole discussion a bit funny as we have UPS manufactures suggesting that surge suppression strips should not be used and the reason is the UPS generate excessive spikes.  Maybe what we need is a database of UPS systems that don't do this.   On the flip side shouldn't the UPS be handling any surges that come into the unit anyways?   That is does it make any sense to have down stream surge suppression at all?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2022, 07:53:59 pm »
I find this whole discussion a bit funny as we have UPS manufactures suggesting that surge suppression strips should not be used and the reason is the UPS generate excessive spikes.  Maybe what we need is a database of UPS systems that don't do this.   On the flip side shouldn't the UPS be handling any surges that come into the unit anyways?   That is does it make any sense to have down stream surge suppression at all?

I think it's fundamental to the fact that the vast majority of UPS's for many years produced a square wave with dead time rather than a sine wave because it was not economically feasible to make them produce a clean sine wave instead. More recently that has been changing, driven primarily by the proliferation of computer PSUs with active PFC. Most consumer UPS's are still the square wave type but sine wave units are steadily becoming more common.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf