Author Topic: Replace Single Turn Potentiometer with 10 Turn Precision Pot on Lab Power Supply  (Read 5050 times)

Offline ert829Topic starter

I have a new lab power supply which has single turn 10K potentiometers on it.  It is difficult to set precise values with these pots.  I would like to replace some them (voltage) with 10 turn 10K pots.  But...I noticed that the minimum resistance on these devices is 100 Ohm, not zero, like I measured on the single turn pots.  I suspect that this will be a problem.  Any thoughts out there?

-ert829

Offline uwezi

• Supporter
    • GreenPhotons
What's in the specs is not always what you see in reality. It is what the manufacturer is willing to guarantee.

I have not seen a 10-turn pot which would perform worse than a 1-turn pot with regard to lowest resistance.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
If they fit behind the panel just replace them Any 10 turn pot of reasonable quality will have lower end travel resistance than most single turn composition pots. If you need lower resolution look for some 3 turn or 5 turn pots instead, they are shallower.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:12:07 pm by SeanB »

Offline Golana

I would recommend these:

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?vendor=0&keywords=3590S-2-103L-ND

I replaced some single turn pots with these on a cheap Mastech power supply and they have been working great for several years.  Minimum resistance is 1Ohm.  They are a bit bulky but if you have room for them they are great quality.

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
I have a new lab power supply which has single turn 10K potentiometers on it.  It is difficult to set precise values with these pots.  I would like to replace some them (voltage) with 10 turn 10K pots.  But...I noticed that the minimum resistance on these devices is 100 Ohm, not zero, like I measured on the single turn pots.  I suspect that this will be a problem.  Any thoughts out there?

-ert829

The Vishay 534 Spectrol can go down to bellow 0.05 Ohm, measured on 10k.
http://se.farnell.com/vishay-spectrol/534b1103jlb/pot-rotary-10k-20-6mm-5/dp/1144786

Offline JOERGG

• Contributor
I dropped the idea of inserting a  10 turn pot in my power supply, because i could not find knobs for a 6.35mm axis and thought that it was to expensive to realize later that a 6mm knob will not fit.
Does a 6mm knob fit onto the slightly thicker axis or how did you solve this problem?
If i write funny things, because english is not my native language, feel free to laugh. It is not always easy to find the right expression.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
I dropped the idea of inserting a  10 turn pot in my power supply, because i could not find knobs for a 6.35mm axis and thought that it was to expensive to realize later that a 6mm knob will not fit.
Does a 6mm knob fit onto the slightly thicker axis or how did you solve this problem?

Search for 1/4" knobs instead  ;)
Trying to find 6.35mm knobs is like trying to find a M6.35 machine screw.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 10:16:04 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline JOERGG

• Contributor
Search for 1/4" knobs instead  ;)
Trying to find 6.35mm knobs is like trying to find a M6.35 machine screw.
That makes sense, thank you so much, how blind can one be if not to be used to calculate with inches  :-+. I really couldnĀ“t see it.  :palm:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 10:30:21 am by JOERGG »
If i write funny things, because english is not my native language, feel free to laugh. It is not always easy to find the right expression.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf