Author Topic: Replacing Li-poly with Li-ion cells  (Read 1503 times)

Offline olewalesTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Replacing Li-poly with Li-ion cells
« on: February 01, 2016, 09:58:05 pm »
Hello,

I am trying to resurrect a power bank in which one of four li-po cells died. I don't want to throw it away because it has a handy feature of being able to provide 19V@2A and I plan to use it for powering TS-100  portable soldering iron. The problem is that replacing Li-po cells is going to be quite expensive. However there seems to be enough space inside to fit 4 18650 cells which are abundant on the market. Can they be used as a direct replacement? I've read that Li-po differ from Li-ions mainly in shape and their chemistry is very similar. Original cells had model number "ft853465p" on them (found a match in this document). Cells are connected in series and there are taps between each of them so they are probably balance-charged. There is also a thermal sensor in the device.

I'd appreciate any advice on this.

Offline Chalcogenide

• Regular Contributor
Re: Replacing Li-poly with Li-ion cells
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 10:27:07 pm »
I think you will be fine. Just use 4 identical 18650 cells at the same state of charge (fully charged is the easiest to achieve) so that you start off with a well balanced pack. Also use cells rated for >3A discharge, but this should be easy.

Offline DivineChaos

• Regular Contributor
Re: Replacing Li-poly with Li-ion cells
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 12:03:11 am »
Panasonic IMR 18650 and CGH 18650's are an excellent choice

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf