Author Topic: Resistor help  (Read 814 times)

Offline jacko1970sTopic starter

• Contributor
Resistor help
« on: June 30, 2020, 06:09:47 pm »
Resistor broke apart on removing but I’m stuck on getting a replacement resistor calculator pic below put value in google and eBay and value not coming up Also pic of resistor any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Jason

Offline MarkR42

• Regular Contributor
Re: Resistor help
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 06:21:32 pm »
A resistor of 3.8 G ohm seems highly unlikely.

Is there any information about the context of the resistor in its circuit? Do you have any clues about what its role is in the device? Is it used in, for example, a power supply? Are there other resistors nearby, can you trace them out? Do you have another working device? Can the device schematic be got?

The following users thanked this post: jacko1970s

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 06:42:27 pm »
Photo is the broken resistor with orange grey grey gold band when put in resistor calculator as shown in other photo this is what comes up it’s A lavazza milk easy milk frother

Offline SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 06:45:30 pm »
Might be an inductor...
Support your local planet.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 06:56:18 pm »
No it’s marked on board r can’t see the two middle bands that good both look grey but third one could be silver making it a 0.38 ohms 5% resistor does this seem more like it

Offline MarkR42

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 09:59:38 pm »
I am guessing that the colours are destroyed by whatever electrical fault killed it.

If there is AC mains coming into the device, the resistor might be across a capacitor there, in which case it may be a high value to discharge the capacitor when the device is unplugged to prevent unpleasant voltages from lingering on the pins of the plug. Such a resistor could not be 0.38 \$\Omega\$, but would more likely to be 330 k \$\Omega\$

However, the device would still work without the resistor in that case. If it's dead, then either something else failed and just happened to smoke the resistor (a 330k resistor seems unlikely to fail because even across the mains it will have a very small current)

The 2nd digit is probably a 3, because that's the most common preferred value after another 3 (33R, 330R, 3.3k, etc)

Sorry I'm rambling and not helping, please do not replace the resistor with a random value and then set yourself on fire etc, with a faulty appliance!

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 12:25:59 pm »
No thanks for the reply the one leg of the resistor is connected to one side of a black SMD diode underneath put brighter pic of broken diode there is also continuity between circles component pic and one leg of resistor
Middle picture below is the power neutral and earth coming from mains plug I’m only getting mv on a multimeter And you can ramble all you want any help to learn a bit more is great and would not put anything together thT could be dangerous

Thanks

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 05:24:16 pm »
Ps this is continuity test picture live to relay to broke resistor to m7 diode not sure this will help

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf