Author Topic: Resonant choke V conventional capacitor smoothed HV supplies.  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Chris WilsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Race car engineer, dog lover, hoarder.
Resonant choke V conventional capacitor smoothed HV supplies.
« on: August 30, 2012, 09:13:42 pm »
If I were to convert a high voltage (tube linear amp) power supply unit from using a big resonant choke and a 4uF oil filled cap for smoothing a bridge rectifier circuit on the secondary of the HV transformer to a conventional capacitor smoothing on the bridge output, using either 2 big oil filled caps in series (60uF each, so 30uF at doubled the single caps WV rating), or an array of electrolytics giving a similar or gretaer capacitance figure, the output voltage will rise. Is this solely due to losing the resistance of the resonant choke's winding? Or is it more complex? Thanks. The PSU is commercially made by Henry Electronics, USA. The PSU is 3 phase, I am told quite a lot of people have done a "remove the resonant choke, up the microfarads substantially, alter the bleeder resistor values, and run off the outer two of the three transformer windings on single phase" mod. I don't doubt it's possible, just need to get a grasp of what the implications of removing the choke are. As standard the choke is resonated  for smoothing the UK's 50Hz mains cycle with the 4uF smoothing cap (oil filled).

Original circuit (3 phase, albeit a higher voltage transformer than mine ,but circuit wise identical) and the circuit I have seen with the modded phases and smoothing circuit, Thanks
Best regards,

Chris Wilson.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf