Author Topic: RF module for an AVR project  (Read 2686 times)

Offline ElCerrajeroTopic starter

RF module for an AVR project
« on: August 31, 2023, 04:11:14 pm »
I want to build a controller with a joystick to control a dc motor (direction and speed) remotely. I am looking for the best module to use in communication and the most popular is the NRF24 but they also say that they cause many errors and that they are not able to make it work. My question is if anyone knows of a somewhat more reliable alternative, I'm just starting out and I would like an option that isn't too problematic when it comes to making it work.

Offline liaifat85

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Re: RF module for an AVR project
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 11:14:59 am »
Here are some suggestions that you can take a look at: https://wonderfulengineering.com/10-best-rf-modules-for-arduino/

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
Re: RF module for an AVR project
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2023, 06:35:58 pm »
Depending on what it is, you could also consider TV remote style infrared LEDs and receivers (with automatic filtering for 38KHz, or similar, modulated signals) if your application is, in practice, always within line-of-sight.

As for the errors you talk of, how about putting some checksums on the messages to be sent, so any corrupted ones will be ignored, and then transmitting the messages multiple times. This way you get a good chance of one of them getting through uncorrupted,and any which are corrupted aren't acted upon. Also look up about hamming distances, there are ways to send self-correcting messages in far less bytes than you'd expect, so even if all your messages were corrupted by 1 bit, the receievr might be ableto recover the meaning. This checksumming and/or error correction can apply to messages sent over RF, IR, sound, visible light or even along wires.

You will need a microcontroller (arduino device or equivalent) on both the sending (reads joystick, transmits RF data) and receiving (reads in arriving RF data, operates motor accordingly) ends, each running a different program you'll write.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf