Author Topic: Rigol 1054Z: Vertical Expansion not acting as expected  (Read 1248 times)

Offline sentryTopic starter

• Contributor
Rigol 1054Z: Vertical Expansion not acting as expected
« on: August 09, 2018, 08:14:21 pm »
Hi,

I just bought myself a Rigol 1054Z oscilloscope yesterday. I have changed the setting VerticalExp to "Center" because I like the signal to expand and comprise around the center of the screen. Everything works as expected when I push the auto button. The signal stays at the center when I adjust the vertical scale knop, but if I don't use the auto button to locate the signal it doesn't work. The waveform ground level becomes the center. This also happens if I push down on the vertical position knop after I adjust using the auto button.

Is it supposed to act this way?

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Rigol 1054Z: Vertical Expansion not acting as expected
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 10:13:06 pm »
Vertical position push should take the signal reference to the center of the screen. Vertical scale push should toggle between fine and coarse scale adjustment. The scale button won't move the center of the signal, so usually, with a positive signal, you put the signal right at the bottom of the screen, increase one coarse scale notch and repeat till you get what you want. If you use AC coupling the signal should always be around the reference point, so when interested in AC signals on top of a DC and you only care about the AC you should use AC coupling, it doesn't make much sense to use DC coupled if you don't need it, it only limits the DC range you are able to look and makes things much harder than they need to be.

I don't know how AUTO button is supposed to work as I disable mine first thing after taking the scope out of the box. I guess it should center the signal somewhere in the screen, depending on how many signals are present.

JS
If I don't know how it works, I prefer not to turn it on.

The following users thanked this post: sentry

Offline sentryTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Rigol 1054Z: Vertical Expansion not acting as expected
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 03:17:43 am »
Hi JS, thank you for your answer. It clarified things for me:)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf