Author Topic: Rigol 832 outputs in series  (Read 1655 times)

Offline jerrykTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Rigol 832 outputs in series
« on: October 26, 2017, 05:32:13 pm »
I'm trying to understand why this article (https://rigol.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2285140-how-do-i-connect-the-dp832-to-achieve--30v-on-channel-1-and-channel-2-) states that the jumper to connect the two outputs in series needs to be 9 amp rated.

Jerry

Offline grifftech

• Frequent Contributor
    • youtube channel
Re: Rigol 832 outputs in series
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 06:51:11 pm »
The jumper needs to be 9 amp rated so you can power a device that uses 9 amps :D

Offline jerrykTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 07:28:43 pm »
The jumper needs to be 9 amp rated so you can power a device that uses 9 amps :D

Since the series output on the 832 is only capable of 3 amps I assume that's all I need to size for (if that is the intended load) and series jumper need only be sized per the load.  At least that is my assumption.  Another question with regards to that link is I assume that I can jump either +/- between channel 1 & channel 2 to make a series connection.

Sorry for the beginner nature of these questions but I'm just wanting to do things correctly.

Thanks - Jerry

Offline Signal32

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 09:02:29 pm »

Since the series output on the 832 is only capable of 3 amps I assume that's all I need to size for (if that is the intended load) and series jumper need only be sized per the load.

This is correct, really curious too if someone can figure out why 9A requirement.
The only scenario that I can think of is if you connect "output 3 -" to circuit ground instead of the shared ground point.
In this case "Output 3 -" jumper wire can have 6a across it. Can't figure out how you can get to 9A , possibly a mistake on their part.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 12:50:42 am »
They added 3A + 3A + 3A. If you wired all three + terminals together in parallel, then connected those to the ground, with one jumper, you could potentially get 9A flowing through a single cable.
Whoever wrote it might have been thinking "ok whats the worst case that could happen here". Or they might have not thought about it much at all.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Signal32

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 01:22:39 am »
then the ground lead running from the D.U.T. will be carrying 6A.
Question is about jumper wires not DUT ground lead. In your scenarios jumper wires would still be carrying 3A.

Offline Damianos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 07:34:14 pm »
They added 3A + 3A + 3A. If you wired all three + terminals together in parallel, then connected those to the ground, with one jumper, you could potentially get 9A flowing through a single cable.
Whoever wrote it might have been thinking "ok whats the worst case that could happen here". Or they might have not thought about it much at all.
I think also it is this.

Anyway for some good results it is necessary to always use heavy cables, because these models do not have sensing inputs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf