Author Topic: Rigol DS1052E vs Agilent InfiniVision 2000/3000  (Read 5500 times)

Offline tekati

• Contributor
    • Stealth Micro
Rigol DS1052E vs Agilent InfiniVision 2000/3000
« on: May 09, 2011, 02:53:35 am »
I have been playing with electronics stuff for a few years. I am wanting to purchase some lab equipment and find the eevblogs to be extremely valuable information. The question I have between these oscilloscopes is what type of projects require the better scopes where say a Rigol won't do?

I understand the idea of having the single unit able to do function generator and logic analyzer stuff but besides that when would you really benefit from the extra power?

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: Rigol DS1052E vs Agilent InfiniVision 2000/3000
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 05:59:16 am »
when would you really benefit from the extra power?
when you go more advanced.
if something can select, how cant it be intelligent? if something is intelligent, how cant it exist?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 06:57:13 am »
The more powerful scopes get you more advanced triggering and faster screen updating and more "analog like" operation.
This can be essential for tracking down really elusive faults or glitches in signals for example.

To meet any given measurement requirement with scopes you usually need X amount of bandwidth (with adequate real time sample rate), X amount of memory, and X triggering ability, and possibly X waveform updating speed. All scopes have X amount of that, so the answer to how much X you need is always "it depends". It's hard to generalise it to "types" of projects.
Any others features usually falls into the "nice to have" category instead of essential. But as always, YMMV.
One example might be segmented memory. If you need that for some obscure application, then there is absolutely no substitute for it, simple as that.

But the general answer is, if you have to ask this question, then the Rigol will almost certainly be all you'll need for a long time.

Dave.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 07:03:32 am »
But the general answer is, if you have to ask this question, then the Rigol will almost certainly be all you'll need for a long time.

Dave.

Yep. I agree. If you don't know exactly what you will need start with a lower base dso. The one that needs an oscilloscope with advanced features like Serial or any other protocol decoder knows it in advance. If your needs after a while is for something better you could sell the one and go for a better model.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 09:02:14 am »
Another way to look at it is to consider how much you value your time.
Higher-end scopes like the Agilent will generally make debugging faster and less frustrating. In a commercial environment, spending money on good tools is a no-brainer, for hobby uses, it's more of a 'quality of life' decision.

The function gen is a red-herring as a standalone one will usually be cheaper than the option on the Agilent, and the advantage of having it integrated into the  scope is minimal.   
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline deephaven

• Frequent Contributor
  • Civilization is just one big bootstrap
    • Deephaven Ltd
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 10:40:23 am »
It very much depends on the types of project you are contemplating. If you could give examples of these we could probably advise you better.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 04:49:34 pm »
Its an interesting truism.  I agree completely.  The Rigol should serve you well until you've outgrown its usefulness, and then you'll really appreciate what the Infinivision can do.

Dave.

Yep. I agree. If you don't know exactly what you will need start with a lower base dso. The one that needs an oscilloscope with advanced features like Serial or any other protocol decoder knows it in advance. If your needs after a while is for something better you could sell the one and go for a better model.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline tekati

• Contributor
    • Stealth Micro
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 04:56:27 pm »
All of these are really good answers and very much appreciated.  I just did not want to get say the Rigol and find that there is something about the Agilent that was one of those oh crud if I had for sight I would have just picked up an Agilent in the first place.  I am one of those who does like to have the good stuff and am spoiled a little in my hobbies and Electronics has been one of those hobbies that I am always in the middle of.  Other hobbies come and go but Electronics is always there.  I should own stock in Spark Fun for example. 

As always thank you all for your comments and suggestions.  I will most likely pick up the Rigol now and if I have a need for something more advanced ill probably either keep the Rigol around or hand it down to my son who I am sure would not mind.  Probably a little like a multimeter and not a bad idea to have more than one lying around.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 09:29:37 pm »
Don't forget that test gear always has good resale value, probably better than any other sort of electronics, so it's by no means a once-and-for-all decision.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf