Author Topic: Rigol DS1054 Oscilloscope and RF probe question  (Read 903 times)

Offline CramboneTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Rigol DS1054 Oscilloscope and RF probe question
« on: January 13, 2020, 03:12:29 pm »
I’m aligning a radio that requires to use an RF Probe as connecting anything to the Test Point will throw off the frequency. Can I use the  Rigol DS1054 and the standard bribe by just placing the plastic end on the Test Point without using the metal tip?
Or is it possible to build an RF Probe for it?

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1054 Oscilloscope and RF probe question
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 03:27:29 pm »
I’m aligning a radio that requires to use an RF Probe as connecting anything to the Test Point will throw off the frequency. Can I use the  Rigol DS1054 and the standard bribe by just placing the plastic end on the Test Point without using the metal tip?
Why didn't you just try instead of asking? Answer is: no. Signals are way too weak and way too low frequency to be received by probe tip as an antenna.

Or is it possible to build an RF Probe for it?
Yes. https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-1GHz-Active-Probe-for-Under-20/

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 06:04:23 pm »
But even at 100MHz bandwidth unlocked, it isn't going to be much of an "RF" oscilloscope. You'll get honest performance up to 20 MHz with the stock unlocked scope/probe combo used properly. You might get honest frequency counts at 100 MHz and over, maybe. But when I tried to work on a 400 MHz garage door opener with my 1054Z it just didn't cut it.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 08:36:11 pm »
You might get honest frequency counts at 100 MHz and over, maybe.
No. If you know that signal frequency is outside your scope bandwidth - don't even bother to look at it because what you may see on the display most likely will differ from actual signal. Even 100MHz signal on 100Mhz scope most likely will not show at correct amplitude.

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 06:29:59 pm »
Search for "Near field probe". There is even an eevblog video on them.
Easiest thing to try is to clip the ground lead to the probe tip. The wire loop becomes a (poor but functional) near field probe. It needs to be placed very close to the circuit, and orientation does matter. You may even try to coil the ground lead into a little loop.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf