Author Topic: Routing (am I doing it rite)  (Read 3730 times)

Offline FerrotoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Routing (am I doing it rite)
« on: April 26, 2010, 12:02:07 pm »
I'm making an RC car. The motors will be suspended by a piece of wire that's going to be soldered through vias that I haven't created yet. It's still a work in progress, but in the end it'll have two tracks, and be controlled wirelessly.

Also to show my awesomeness, I made the entire thing on one side of the PCB with no jumper wires :)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 12:04:55 pm by Ferroto »

Offline DavidDLC

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Routing (am I doing it rite)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 04:16:13 pm »
If you are not planning to use an IC socket for the PIC controller, then it will be a good idea to include the ICSP connections to modify the firmware.

BR.

Offline DavidDLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 04:21:26 pm »
mmm seems like the connector marked as "Controls" could be the ICSP, if that is the case I will change the Label to ICSP.

Let us know.

Offline RoelA

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 05:00:57 pm »
How are you going to control your motors? An PIC can only supply a limited current before everything blows up. Normally, you shouldn't draw more then 15-20 mA per pin.

And you still have a 90 degree bend above your pic, you should make a 45 degree turns there too.

Offline TheDirty

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 07:50:08 pm »
Try to connect to the pads at the ends rather than cutting into them at an angle.  You might want to increase the 'isolate' value on your polygon as well.  I try to keep it around 12 or 16 mils.  Is C2 thru C4 input filtering?  Move the caps closer to the PIC.
Mark Higgins

Offline mkissin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 08:47:27 pm »
Just to add to what the others have already mentioned, I always try to avoid routing traces underneath ICs. It's not the worst thing with DIP packages, but it will mean you get an unbroken ground plane under it.

You could try bringing the track that connector to pin 4 of the PIC out and going around to the left of the controls connector, or perhaps change the pins entirely so that they route more neatly (that may not be possible depending on what the connector is for).

Offline TheDirty

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 09:13:30 pm »
Are you etching this yourself?  I just thought that might be why you are trying to keep this single sided. If you are etching this yourself, you'll want the traces and mask on the bottom side rather than the top.
Mark Higgins

Offline FerrotoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 01:22:29 am »
mmm seems like the connector marked as "Controls" could be the ICSP, if that is the case I will change the Label to ICSP.

Let us know.
The controls header controls the motors, and can go into reverse by reversing the polarity.

The signal is fed to a motor driver board that is the same dimensions as the RC_Control_Module and mounted below it by the vias on top and bottom.

The finished product will be 3 wafers stacked. The board you're looking at is the middle wafer. the bottom has the motor drivers and the motors attached, and the top is the transmitter.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 01:26:08 am by Ferroto »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf