Author Topic: R&S SMA 100 A shutting down  (Read 283 times)

Offline hinxxTopic starter

• Contributor
R&S SMA 100 A shutting down
« on: April 08, 2024, 08:51:00 am »
My SMA 100 A started behaving weird lately. It powers on and then after a couple of minutes it powers itself off. The log is full of errors about how it can not write to EEPROM with no other errors reported.

I've opened up the box and noticed that all the heatsinks are of funky, in a charred like color  :o. Here are some pics. It looks like dust was "baked" onto the heatsinks. Quick inspection shows that no components / cables / wires seem to be damaged. Any ideas on what happened?

After the device powers off (yellow) light near the frontpanel power on button lights up I can't get it to power on unless I turn the main power switch off and on again.

I do not feel any excessive heat on the heatsinks, and the fan is spinning.

I guess I could replace the EEPROM but I'm thinking that failing to write data to it should not be a reason for shutdowns..

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
Re: R&S SMA 100 A shutting down
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 07:50:49 pm »
Maybe EEPROM has a write enable from behind something that is not ok.

Heatsinks should be heated, possibly quite a bit.
It's also possible that normal temperature is much more than what can be touched.
But intuition says it's different here, don't trust intuition.

There can also be a temp sensor that is past its last day.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf