Author Topic: Safety Question  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: Safety Question
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2021, 06:57:05 pm »
Get someone with electronics knowledge to make a proper fitting. The main problem is it's exposed and instead could be electrically insulated. Open exposed connectors on mains leads have a way of ending up on the floor or someones lap or moving around on the bench, so it's better to have an fitting or proper insulated connectors. Even if it had a couple of insulated banana sockets it's still a hazard so should be tagged.

A warning tag similar to the linked one should be attached at the exposed end. You should add to the tag that it is for authorized or supervised use only, not to be removed and presents an electrocution, shorting and reverse wiring hazard. This will hopefully avoid someone unfamilar with mains wiring grabbing it. Don't forget to tag the other device as well. If you make a fitting it needs to be labelled clearly there as well.

As mentioned they shouldn't be left out in the open in an environment that has public access. In the case where you have exposed mains equipment on the bench, the bench should be clearly signed.

https://www.lockouttag.com/2-sided-electrical-hazard-danger-tag/sku-tg-0880

This is the minimum you should do but it doesn't replace legal obligations. In an office setting or a factory floor that cable would be removed.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2021, 05:48:58 pm »
I second the Cliff quick test, excellent bit of kit, and I have one permanently mounted on the output side of my variac (Together with an ordinary mains socket), quite useful.

That said, I ALSO have various permutations of suicide cord in a draw, including some really odd ones (domestic plug to 63/3 socket (Used for insulation testing heavy three phase gear) and the like!
They are occasionally necessary, but there is usually a better way. 

Online dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2021, 09:07:27 pm »
Happened to find this demonstration of suicide cable, action starts at 3:30

Regards, Dieter

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf