Author Topic: Characterizing diode via scope XY mode  (Read 3627 times)

Offline MikeKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Characterizing diode via scope XY mode
« on: April 08, 2012, 12:27:04 am »
I'm trying to setup my scope to characterize a 1N4001 diode.  This should be a plot of voltage across the diode (X-axis) versus current through the diode (Y-axis).  But I'm not getting the full results I expect.

I have my function generator outputting a triangle wave to the series connection of the diode and a 10 ohm resistor.  Amplitude is set to max.  On my scope, I have X measuring the voltage across the diode and Y is the voltage across the resistor (to get the current).

It took me a while to get the settings where I can see something recognizable.  I set the generator for two frequencies, 1k and 39k.  I'm assuming that I'm getting no reverse current, because the reverse threshold is much higher than the voltage my function generator outputs.  But what the heck is happening at 39k?  Also, why is the plot so grainy?  It has 1MSa/s in XY mode, which should still give me a nice smooth curve, no?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 12:31:52 am by MikeK »

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: Characterizing diode via scope XY mode
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 12:42:15 am »
hmm, if i had to guess either its some inductance in what your measuring, or the recovery of the diode, though i would think more the first because the specced frequency of a 1n4001 should be much much higher,

Offline MikeKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 12:51:50 am »
I just ran a 5.1V zener.  No strange behavior.

But the scope acts strange when I set the function generator to a large integer factor of the scope sample rate.  I get "connect the dots".

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 12:59:03 am by MikeK »

Offline slateraptor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 04:12:46 am »
In agreement with Rerouter on the first; what you're seeing is likely hysteresis.

For the second, I suspect aliasing.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 05:45:17 am »
But what the heck is happening at 39k?  Also, why is the plot so grainy?  It has 1MSa/s in XY mode, which should still give me a nice smooth curve, no?
try to increase the freq (MSps) more, then you'll realize the limitation of rigol built in XY plot mode.

edit: didnt realize this...
But the scope acts strange when I set the function generator to a large integer factor of the scope sample rate.  I get "connect the dots".
ahhh! here they are!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:51:03 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf