Author Topic: Sample Rate  (Read 1584 times)

Offline metrologistTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Sample Rate
« on: August 29, 2019, 07:26:46 pm »
Is it incorrect to specify sample rate in terms of Hz?

Sampling Techniques: Real-time / Equivalent Time / Statistical Sampling
Continuous Sample Rate: 100 MHz
Effective Sample Rate: 10 GHz

Or is MS/s and GS/s a more correct way to specify this? Can any supporting discussion around that also be provided?

Context: https://boonton.com/Portals/0/Products/Real%20Time%20Power%20Sensors/RTP5000/RTP_8PG_2019.pdf

Thank you.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
Re: Sample Rate
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 07:45:41 pm »
1Hz = 1/s so technically correct :)

Also common in audio, but S/s is more common in scopes to avoid confusion with bandwidth.

BTW, what the fuck is one megasiemens per second? :-DD

Offline TheHolyHorse

• Regular Contributor
  • You don't need to be confused, just understand it.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 09:16:26 pm »

Never heard it before but it doesn't sound to comfortable :horse:

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 09:33:27 pm »
There's no convention for samples/second in the SI system, but both S (siemens) and s (seconds) are already reserved.

My favourite would be to write it in full: Gsamples/second. That way, there's no ambiguity, and that's what communication is about :)

The following users thanked this post: Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 10:20:21 pm »
Yes, I meant Sa/s

But there was a question on if there could be two samples per Hz due to rising/falling edge sampling.

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 11:16:46 pm »
Yes, I meant Sa/s

But there was a question on if there could be two samples per Hz due to rising/falling edge sampling.

I see no ambiquity.  If the sampling was done on the rising and falling edge of a 1MHz clock, then the sample rate would be 2MHz, or 2M samples per second.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 11:39:28 pm »
The ambiguity is whether the 100 MHz sample rate specified in the datasheet could mean 200 MSa/s. I play more in O-Scope land and generally see samples per second. There is the following mention in the user guide:

The RTP5000 Real-Time Power Sensors have exceptional trigger stability of less than 100 ps trigger jitter
regardless of the trigger source which yields much greater waveform detail because a stable trigger point
yields a stable waveform. Using dedicated trigger circuitry rather than software-based triggering provides
precise timestamping of relative trigger-to-sample delay. This precision permits the use of random
interleaved sampling (RIS) for repetitive waveforms with resulting effective sampling rate of 10 GS/s which
permits accurate, direct measurement of fast timing events without requiring interpolation between
samples.

I appreciate the dialog. Thanks

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 04:39:57 am »
1Hz = 1/s so technically correct :)

Also common in audio, but S/s is more common in scopes to avoid confusion with bandwidth.

I sort off get the joke . A Siemen is a measurement of  electric conductance, electric susceptance, and electric admittance.The reciprocal of  resistance, reactance, and impedance.
Also called  a mho.

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 07:30:31 pm »
The ambiguity is whether the 100 MHz sample rate specified in the datasheet could mean 200 MSa/s.

There is no ambiguity, because 100 MHz sample rate equals to 100 MSa/s and equals to 100 M cycles, which is equals to 100 MHz.

200 MSa/s is 200 MHz sample rate and means 200 M cycles per seconds, which means 200 MHz.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 02:36:09 pm »
The ambiguity is whether the 100 MHz sample rate specified in the datasheet could mean 200 MSa/s.

There is no ambiguity, because 100 MHz sample rate equals to 100 MSa/s and equals to 100 M cycles, which is equals to 100 MHz.

200 MSa/s is 200 MHz sample rate and means 200 M cycles per seconds, which means 200 MHz.

What if a sample is taken on both the rising and falling edge? I guess your 50 MHz sampling clock would produce a 100 MHz sample rate, which would still be 100 MSa/s. It was more of a semantic question of whether sample rates are properly specified in Hz.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 02:51:56 pm »
When the re-naming of cps = cycles/second to Hz was first proposed, a conservative German scientist objected “One might as well name the liter/minute the Falstaff.”

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 07:02:48 pm »
Funnily enough, there is becquerel - the count of decays per second in a radioactive material.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 07:27:48 pm »
I sort off get the joke . A Siemen is a measurement of  electric conductance, electric susceptance, and electric admittance.The reciprocal of  resistance, reactance, and impedance.
Also called  a mho.
i dont get the joke, but i'm not too serious either. if unitless (count or cycles) per sec is Hz, any unit per sec, is the rate of change, such as m/s, kmph, dT/dt (temperature), V/us. hence anything that change conductivity with delta 1Meg in one sec is one megasiemens per second. i'm not sure if such material exists though.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline taydin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 08:25:12 pm »
I often see Msps or Gsps in oscilloscope specs. Not a standard, but conveys the meaning.
Real programmers use machine code!

My hobby projects http://mekatronik.org/forum

Offline SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 08:44:10 pm »
What if a sample is taken on both the rising and falling edge?
You only know if you are on a falling or rising edge when sampling more often than the signal changes (Nyquist-Shannon) and what causes the sample to be taken is the elapse of time, without regard for the signal.

Triggering requires either software with enough samples to be taken or separate hardware.
Support your local planet.

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2019, 09:46:16 pm »
What if a sample is taken on both the rising and falling edge? I guess your 50 MHz sampling clock would produce a 100 MHz sample rate

if sample is taken on both rising and falling edge, then sample rate Sa/s and sample frequency Hz will be still equals.

For example if you use clock source 50 MHz and use rise and fall edges to produce samples, then you will get 100 MSa/s = 100 MHz = 100 M cycles per second sample rate. Nothing confusing :)

Sample rate means how many samples per second is produced. If you put strobe for each sample, you will get square wave with frequency which is exactly equals to sample count per second. And it doesn't matter what is source oscillator frequency.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 09:53:22 pm by radiolistener »

Online macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 02:21:22 pm »
What if a sample is taken on both the rising and falling edge? I guess your 50 MHz sampling clock would produce a 100 MHz sample rate

if sample is taken on both rising and falling edge, then sample rate Sa/s and sample frequency Hz will be still equals.

For example if you use clock source 50 MHz and use rise and fall edges to produce samples, then you will get 100 MSa/s = 100 MHz = 100 M cycles per second sample rate. Nothing confusing :)

Sample rate means how many samples per second is produced. If you put strobe for each sample, you will get square wave with frequency which is exactly equals to sample count per second. And it doesn't matter what is source oscillator frequency.
I agree with radiolistener. No ambiguity exists unless the reader chooses to add unnecessary confusion to a simple topic. Sampling at 100 MHz means sampling at "100 Million per second" since the "Hz" unit is literally "per second". Whether or not a DDR clock is used internally is moot. I am absolutely certain that my oscilloscope, which can sample at 16 GHz real time, does not have any 16 GHz clock internally. It actually samples on multiple phases of a slower clock.

In other words: Hz, MHz, GHz, can specify rate of anything, not just a clock signal.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf