Author Topic: Search Term Blindness  (Read 1330 times)

Offline msknightTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • My pages
Search Term Blindness
« on: June 15, 2021, 06:48:24 am »
I'm trying to find a thing that I know exists... but once again my search terms fail me.

My scope and signal generator are the wrong side of my soldering irons, and I don't want the leads to drop down onto the irons.

I know there's a stiff wire thing, sometimes on a spring, with a loop at the end, to train wires to a destination, or keep them up out of the way.

But can I find the right search terms in order to find one of flea bay?

Not a hope.
If god had meant for humans to solder, she'd have given us three hands.

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
Re: Search Term Blindness
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 06:59:51 am »
The search term that came to my mind was <iron cord holder>.  That's 'iron' as in 'clothes iron', but it might work for what you want.  Google came up with better pictures than flea bay - not sure which would give better purchasing options.

The following users thanked this post: msknight

• Regular Contributor
    • My pages
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 07:09:34 am »
Brilliant. A few minor tweaks to get rid of the clothes iron plates, and that's got me on track. Many thanks!

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 11:51:28 pm »
How about "mouse cord holder"? Similar device, slightly smaller.

• Regular Contributor
    • My pages
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 08:48:08 am »
Good suggestion, but the units are raised on shelving and need to go over, so I needed something that could clamp to a shelf and had a bit of reach to go over the irons. All the mouse cord holder stands I can find are sat on the desk and don't have that much reach.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 11:11:59 am »
Wire organizer is another name. 

But, how about re-arranging your desk?  I am left-handed.  My soldering iron/station is on the left.  Everything else is in front of me or to the right.  Cables from those instruments in front of me are pushed to the back or top and/or removed when not in use.   I have never had a conflict between my soldering iron and a cable.

• Regular Contributor
    • My pages
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 12:45:00 pm »
The desk is in the midst of reorganisation. I don't have enough room in front of me for the instruments. To put them to the left would interfere with storage which is close to the wall. That's why I'm having to get inventive!

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 01:19:30 pm »
Unscrew the spring from the soldering station and mount it under the bench on a sheet of aluminium.
https://www.instructables.com/DIY-Under-the-Bench-Mounted-Soldering-Station/
or https://stellartechnical.com/products/hexacon-hd-s12-iron-cradle

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 01:19:59 pm »
my cheapskate solution would be a couple of hooks in the ceiling and a bit of string from the hooks to hold the wires up out the way

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 01:38:50 pm »
My even cheaper first attempt (not calling it a solution) would be to use a straightened bit of a wire coat-hanger.

Maybe search on "dremel flexible shaft hanger" it might get you closer to something. It was the first thing I thought of anyway.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2021, 03:21:40 pm »
I'm right-handed, and my soldering iron is defintely to the right of my general work area.  The scope is roughly centered, and signal generators, power supplies, etc. are in a rack to the right.  The stereo zoom microscope is prominently in the center, on a stand that can be pushed to the back of the bench when not in use.  This has worked quite well for me.

Jon

• Regular Contributor
    • My pages
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2021, 03:38:32 pm »
That under-bench solution is pretty cool. Shame that's where my camera bags are :-)

My coat hooks are plastic. They don't bend... but I suppose they could melt :-D

I'll keep trying!

Offline SuzyC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 07:33:52 pm »
I would take an appropriately sized piece(3-in x 4-in) of  PCB stock and solder onto 2 appropriate length pieces of metal coat-hanger wire (else attach to roof to support wires by sheet metal screw/or screw/bolt)  to provide the "legs" for supporting this small  "roof".
The "roof" is suspended a inch or two above the soldering iron holder cooling coil.

I would use sheet-metal screws to fasten the roof coat-hanger support wire leg ends to the soldering iron base.

Uhmmm..funky but functional?

Patent Pending

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2021, 03:44:49 am »
In heavy industry there is a group of devices call "tool counter balance" that might be of use.   Normally these are used on production lines for fairly heavy tools, to reduce injuries, but the can be had in much smaller size.  If you look around you can find units with less than 1 pound pull.    An example here: https://www.industrialspringbalancer.com/products/standard-balancers.html

A very similar device is the retractable key lanyards.    These come in all sorts of varieties.   An example would be: https://www.keybak.com/    Realize that for some users a key ring can end up weighing a lot due to all that brass, so you might get passable results.

As for springs I'm not sure what you might have in mind there.   For support of wire from above, one common approach is the Kellems™ type wire grip.   In this case you would want a support grip.   An example: https://www.hubbell.com/wiringdevice-kellems/en/wire-management.    These would work in conjunction with a counter balance system of some sort.  I think I know what you are talking about with springs but my Google FU has failed me, I have not come up with a vendor, which leads me to believe such a solution is custom made or old fashion.

One other thing that is always worth considering for overhead cable management is a Festooning system.   An example here: https://khindustries.com/product-category/power/festoon-systems/   for a light duty system.    Some of these systems have the structural capability to put a soldering station overhead.   I've even seen similar hardware used to allow small welders to be moved about a work piece.   In any event I only had to hear the word Festoon once and I've never forgot what the word implies.    Probably over kill at a lab bench.   However you can do something similar with messenger wire and a DIY spirit.

When all else fails you should try searching McMaster-Carr.

A word of warning though, having soldering irons, test probes and other pointy objects hanging over a work bench is likely a safety issue.    So you might want to consider a different approach which simply involves running the scope probes to the right or left of the soldering station as may be needed.   One way to do this on the instrument shelf, front edge, is to make use of Panduit wire management systems like: https://www.panduit.com/en/products/wire-routing-management-protection/wiring-duct-accessories/wiring-duct-duct-covers.html.    These are the same wire ways used in industrial control panels and could positively move your scope leads out of the way of the soldering station without a lot of mechanical madness.    This way no overhead hazards and frankly a lot of flexibility as you can rapidly change how wires and cables are routed.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2021, 08:28:56 pm »
Ah. The eyball burner.

Offline Raj

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self taught, experimenter, noob(ish)
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2021, 04:34:20 pm »