Author Topic: Selfmade USB-Cable Troubleshooting  (Read 627 times)

Offline rudepurpleTopic starter

Selfmade USB-Cable Troubleshooting
« on: May 08, 2020, 12:07:43 pm »
Hello everybody,

i have some trouble with a selfmade usb cable. I want to charge my Sony Hdr-AS50 Actioncam(https://www.sony.com/electronics/actioncam/hdr-as50) with a powerbank(https://www.anker.com/store/powercore-13000/A1215011). Using the original cable that came with the power bank everything works fine but not with my selfmade one. Even weirder is that both cables work with a older power bank.

I am using a A-Type Connector and a Micro-B Connctor (The orignal cable uses the same). The wiring is done to the following schematic:

Using a voltmeter i reasured the pinout of the two cables is identical.

Can someone please explain me this behaviour?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 12:32:53 pm by rudepurple »

Offline Mp3

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Selfmade USB-Cable Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 12:22:40 pm »
Your schematic is not in your post.

I am going to guess that your diy cable has the wrong resistance from end to end and the  smarter power bank is checking this and refusing to charge it
High school graduate

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 12:27:55 pm »
i ran into trouble with google drive there.
Should be fixed now.

The cable in the image is my second attempt. I cut the original cable and just shortened it and put my own connectors on it. Shouldn't the end to end resistance stay the same?
Thanks!

Offline Mp3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 12:46:35 pm »
It probably should be the same resistance then. I imagined you used some different cable.

and what happens you connect ID to ground?
High school graduate

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 01:02:11 pm »
I was thinking about the ID pin too, but according to the usb standard it only should be pulled to ground in order to get a host cable.
Probing the working cables shows that ID and GND are not connected
I get some deviating measurements on the resistance of the diy cable. So for now i will further investigate the resistance idea following this website: https://www.tablix.org/~avian/blog/archives/2019/06/measuring_usb_cable_resistance/. I am using cheap connectors. Mayber that is the problem.

Thank you.
More ideas are still welcome
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 01:07:33 pm by rudepurple »

Offline Mp3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 01:28:56 pm »
I was thinking about the ID pin too, but according to the usb standard it only should be pulled to ground in order to get a host cable.
Probing the working cables shows that ID and GND are not connected
I get some deviating measurements on the resistance of the diy cable. So for now i will further investigate the resistance idea following this website: https://www.tablix.org/~avian/blog/archives/2019/06/measuring_usb_cable_resistance/. I am using cheap connectors. Mayber that is the problem.

Thank you.
More ideas are still welcome

Good luck. I know the ID pin is not needed by the usb standard, but Sony is well known for ignoring (or deliberately messing with) wiring/protocol standards
High school graduate

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 10:33:34 am »
Is the D+ and D- really crossed over like that?

Might mean the camera detects the wrong type of charger, although if they both measure the same...

Also try without any D-/D+ connected at all, that should delivery 500ma if the camera is willing to take it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf