Author Topic: Setting up Tune Voltage Circuit  (Read 589 times)

Offline metrologistTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Setting up Tune Voltage Circuit
« on: December 03, 2018, 09:18:46 pm »
Hi All,

I am controlling the tune voltage of an oscillator with a 16-bit PWM DAC out from Arduino (from the Lars DIY GPSDO project).

My oscillator needs a smaller tuning range than 0-5V, probably 1-3V or less would be fine. The current tune voltage is about 2.1V. I figured I can wire the DAC out to a 10k trimpot (simulated R1-R4) and use the center tap to the tune pin to increase effective DAC resolution.

Is there an equally easy way to improve noise and temperature stability? I was wondering if a 2.5V voltage reference could be easily used. I probably won't consider anything too complex, including op amps, etc.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:19:22 pm by metrologist »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Re: Setting up Tune Voltage Circuit
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 12:23:08 pm »
Improving the noise will mean adding an active low pass filter and removing any ground loops.  Improving the temperature stability will require a stable reference, stable gain, and stable offset.

Potentiometers do not make good precision voltage dividers; a pair of precision resistors should be used instead.

A great improvement could be made by doing the PWM switching closer to the oscillator with the 2.5 volt reference but it would require an analog switch or logic gate.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf