Author Topic: Shielded cable that cannot be grounded  (Read 3823 times)

Offline pcblearnerTopic starter

• Contributor
Shielded cable that cannot be grounded
« on: April 22, 2015, 01:19:00 am »
Hello

Here is a newbie question... I want to use a cable for some signal lines (I2C to be exact) and since this cable goes between boards, I would like the cable to be shielded. Now, my understanding is that if the shield of the cable is not connected to signal ground, it can actually behave as an antenna (as EMI can induce voltages on the shield) which is bad.

So, why is it that when I look at cables like this: http://www.digikey.com.au/product-detail/en/30-00279/T1247-30-ND/4581653
There is clearly a shield, but I cannot see any way to actually connect to the ground... I am wondering if I am missing something here...

Thanks

Offline sparx

• Contributor
Re: Shielded cable that cannot be grounded
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 01:21:45 am »
Afaik the connector jacket may make a physical connection to the shield (Such as the case with satellite coaxial cable and F connectors do), or may accept a soldered connection to connect the shield?

Offline PeterFW

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stuff that goes boom
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 01:56:44 am »
I am wondering if I am missing something here...

There are soooo many different ways to connect the shielding of a cable, i guess you mean the "braidet copper" part around the main conductors.

Depending on the connector the shield makes the connection though a press fit, crimp or you untangle it, put shrink wrap over it and treat it like a 4th conductor.
Here is a picture:
https://robrobinette.com/images/Audio/Canare_Star_Quad_Cable.JPG

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 02:24:50 am »
The shield (whether it is braided or simply spiral-wapped) is simply "unraveled" and twisted together as its own wire.  Then you connect it just as you would any of the inner wires.

Offline pcblearnerTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 02:46:59 am »
Thanks everyone :) I understand now.

Offline KeepItSimpleStupid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 03:10:04 am »
Unraveling, is the wrong way to do it.  You actually make a hole in the shield by pushing the braid aside and then pull the center conductor through that hole unless the cable is such that it's so poorly designed it won't allow that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf